Question concerning upgrading iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smirnoff, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Smirnoff

Smirnoff New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hi!

I have a question about jailbreaking iPhone 3G. Previously, I had 3.0 jailbreaked and unlocked via ultrasn0w/PwnageTool. Then I wanted to send it to the Apple Warranty Center, but they returned it saying waterdamage. (There is no real Problem, just the WiFi is greyed out). Now I'm getting it back with 3.0.1 unjailbreaked and locked. My Question now is:

Is it safe to update from this state through a custom 3.1.2 jailbroken firmware (ultrasn0w already installed, because I only get internet connection through mobile service)? Or should I try to jailbreak and unlock 3.0.1 first?

bye,
    Smirnoff
  2. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    There is no unlock for the new baseband, if that's what you're asking. If you're iphone is not on at&t don't update to 3.1.x. If you want to update to 3.1.2 because of the bug fixes and stuff, you will need to find a custom firmware made with pwnagetool that does not upgrade the baseband.
  3. Smirnoff

Smirnoff New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I know that there's no unlock for the new Baseband but I thought 3.0.1 uses same Baseband as 3.0 so I still would be using a unlockable Baseband on my iPhone. Now my Question is if I could update as described above without losing my current Baseband.
  4. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I think you're ok for 3.0.1. Sorry, misunderstood, its late

Please Register or Log in to view images

what's your baseband right now?

settings/general near the bottom, modem firmware

EDIT: Googled it, 3.0.1 does not upgrade the baseband from 3.0.
  5. Smirnoff

Smirnoff New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    so even if I am on factory state iPhone 3G 3.0.1 upgrading with a custom firmware 3.1.2 makes no problems right? (Sorry I'm German, we always need to get things clear twice

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  6. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If the custom firmware doesn't upgrade your baseband. There are both types out there. Make sure the one you get says that it doesn't.

Google specifics and don't use a firmware without a description.