Question about Wubi and Vista

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sprint_user, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I have been dual booting my desktop for about 2 months, and I wanna know what would be better for my laptop, Partition and dual boot, or just use Wubi?

Also, if I have wubi, will I be prompted to boot to ubuntu after by BIOS screen? Or will it just be like an application inside windows?

Also, should I just go here to get wubi?
    http://wubi-installer.org/
  2. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I say partition and dual boot, as it's quite hard to mess up your hard drives unless you don't know what you're doing at all, so unless you're paranoid about messing them up (which again is hard to do following the install guide) just dual boot. They work in the same way except a dual boot system works faster I think.
  3. BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wubi isn't like the Live CD in which it asks you to install after, it just installs itself like an application. I'm not sure how it works but it doesn't limit anything you can do other than hibernating (i think).

Also if you create a live CD then Ubuntu has a nice wizard on installing it from inside the live cd rather than in windows, i'm not sure which is better though.
  4. gymtonic

gymtonic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, what I did, is installed Wubi like normal, then on the Ubuntu Forums, there is a guide for using LVPM to transfer your Wubi Ubuntu Virtual Disk to it's own partition, I found this a lot easier and convenient than partitioning and installing, then fixing something aboot the boot loader..
  5. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Can you give me the link?
  6. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What's the obsession with Wubi? If you're going to install another operating system, you might as well make a partion which is rather intuitive with the partitioning wizard.