Question About Wi-Fi Connectivity and Push Notifications (OS 3.0)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dvdqnoc, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I realized that when I leave my touch on sleep mode, it disconnects from wi-fi eventually (to conserve battery, I assume). This is bad for me because I want to be able to get a push notification from AIM via wi-fi whenever someone IM's me.

Well I noticed that when my touch is just sitting on my table and in sleep mode (not connected to anything) sometimes I get a push notification randomly, and its from someone who IM'ed me like 30 minutes ago or something.

So I'm wondering, does the touch automatically connect to wi-fi periodically to check if any new push notifications are available? If so, is there a way to choose how often it checks?

Also, about the 'fetch' feature for the e-mail. If I set my touch to fetch every 15 minutes, it needs to connect to wi-fi every 15 minutes in order to fetch, no? Well when it connects to wi-fi at that time, will push notifications that have been waiting to be pushed come at that time too, since the touch is briefly connected to wi-fi? Or will it just fetch data strictly for e-mail data, and not connect wi-fi to other apps?
  2. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Not sure about the last two questions, but to solve your AIM problem, download Insomnia or KeepAwake from Cydia to keep your Wi-Fi connected while your iPod is in sleep mode.
  3. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My iPod is not jailbroken... and I dont really want to jailbrake it. Can I still get those apps like Insomnia?
  4. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Unfortunately, no.
    If I were you, I'd jailbreak, you lose nothing and gain a lot!