iOS 4.0 Question about virtual memory?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iRa1n, Aug 11, 2010.

1. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do VM mods actually give you more memory? or do they just trick sbsettings to show more ram? because ive gone from about 30mb free average to about 55 free, but i havent actually noticed much speed change at all
  2. Blade19

Blade19 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes they deffinately give you more RAM, but at the same time ruins your iDevice lol so it whatever you prefer
  3. shamrock

shamrock Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    dont use VM's, they screw your ipod over hella bad... it doesnt speed your ipod, but increases ram. this is completely useless... multitasking works fine without extra RAM. basically, all VM mods do is screw up your ipod. (in my opinion)
  4. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Don't listen to these people. A vm won't ruin your iPod in the short term. Maybe it'll reduce your iPod to like 5 years but most proper will have a new model by then.
  5. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    A VM mod (actually called Swap Files, not VM since VM is implemented into the kernel whether you like it or not) is for those apps that need an excess amount of RAM... (Safari with multiple tabs) Kind of a way to force all apps to save information to storage whenever they exit.

In reality, having more RAM never had anything to do with your performance. Even having only 1MB free left can still keep your device running smoothly. The device will only benefit from either faster CPU, or faster RAM, or both, which is the case with iPod 2G to 3G.

I hope that's easy enough?
  6. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    how is this useless. its useful for me because i was stuck at around 20mb of ram (making everything slow and laggy and apps crashing like crazy) and now get 60-80mb. sounds useful to me because my apps don't crash as much anymore.
  7. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    If you want to use a guide/tutorial for getting virtual memory check this link out.

Virtual Memory doesn't harm your device for a short-term.Still a 8 year life period from what I hear.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303980
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Not trying to be mean but that's highly stupid.

If your iPod is on 1MB it will crash or have very many issues.

Having low ram will jack up your iPod/iPhone up.

Having high ram will keep it stable and have less crashes as before.
  8. shamrock

shamrock Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ok you guys are right... vm's are useful, but not within the 15 minutes i used mine (and uninstalled immediately)