Question about video for iPOD Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cowboyshootist, Oct 9, 2007.

1. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Greetings,

I am just getting the new Touch loaded up and I had a video that a friend sent me that I wanted to load on the Touch. This is a .mov file, probably created with Quicktime. The info on the file says it is 480x360, Low Compelxity Profile, H.264 Video Codec and 799 total bit rate. The file will not load onto the iPOD saying that it is not formatted for the iPOD.

I am converting it for the iPOD now through iTunes but am curious as to why it wouldn't be compatible with the Touch? Seems wierd to me.
  2. mobius128

mobius128 New Member

maybe it is too low in ress? or its just another reason for jailbreak and such.
  3. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

That is odd, the bitrate limit for the Touch is 1.5Mbit/s.

I suppose it could be objecting to the size being 40 pixels too deep, as the iPhone is 480x320 - but I doubt it.

Sometimes video files are just odd, whack it through a convertor to MP4 and it should be fine.
  4. cowboyshootist

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well the iTunes converted version seems to be ok. Although the size is described as 480x360 it doesn't nearly cover the entire screen.
  5. Clackpot

Clackpot New Member

It wouldn't make a difference. If you have Quicktime Pro.. and you export the video either as IPOD.. or IPHONE. It should play back regardless what the resolution is.

Maybe you need to update your pro version of Quicktime.. or whatever version you have.

I take movies from youtube all the time which are .FLV and use the quicktime to IPOD to my IPOT. Works fine.
  6. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

If it's not filling the full screen, have you tried tapping once to enlarge the image?
  7. cowboyshootist

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The movie was given to me by someone else so I don't know how it was actually created. I know that it wasn't converted for Touch or iPhone use but for some reason I thought that a .mov file would play on the Touch.
  8. cowboyshootist

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Tried that, no joy. I believe it has something to do with the conversion. I'll have to play around and see what works best. I have 3 converters, CloneDVD Mobile, Handbrake and Videroa.

Thanks for the assistance.....
  9. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

quicktime videos dont work. such as .mov. i have tired numerous ones and i have to convert them
  10. cowboyshootist

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for the confirmation.