Question about using 2gen ipout touch as voip phone.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by domromer, Jan 27, 2009.

1. domromer

domromer New Member

I'm about to head down to best buy and buy a 2nd gen ipod touch. I've read a few threads but am still unsure about the hardware needed.

1. Do I need to buy a mic or does it have one built in?

2. It seems like the 2nd gen will work as a phone without being jail broke..is this correct?

3. I've searched a bunch of threads but can't find any info about jail breaking. I just want a some general info on what is jailbreaking and what are the benefits of doing it.

4. I guess that is it for know. Finding out the itouch can be used as a phone is what really made me decide to go out and buy it...that such a cool feature.
  2. 700 Sportsman

700 Sportsman New Member

1. Yes you'd have to buy a mic
    2. yes it will work without the JB although its not free
    3. you didn't search very hard, there's a whole redsn0w(JB) thread, with tons of info
  3. Phillyblonds

Phillyblonds New Member

hmm

it is a cool feature, but if you gonna pay for an itouch just for voip, isnt it better to just buy an iphone, even a 2g will do fine
  4. domromer

domromer New Member

I have 2 years left in my current phone plan and don't want to switch to AT&T.There plans are crazy expensive to what I'm paying now. I'd rather just have a touch do most of what the iphone can do for a lot less $$$
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Actually when you do a search for jail breaking you come across about 100 threads that all talk about when the jail break will be ready and not what the basics of jail breaking are...thanks for correcting me though .
  5. 700 Sportsman

700 Sportsman New Member

you can check out the 1G JB section, most of the same things will apply