[Question] About the boot thing..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eladc, Feb 7, 2009.

1. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ok I have a question about the boot after the jailbreak.
    Let's say that I have jailbroken my iPod (I didn't yet).
    What happens with the boot thing that everyone is talking about?
    Also, what is DFU mode?
    If I jailbreak my iPod, do I need to use a boot software every time I want to run my iPod?
    Thank you.
  2. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Once u have uploaded the custom ispw you will need to restart, there are a number of programs that do this, but your iPod must be in DFU mode. To get to DFU mode hold the power and home buttons for 10 sec then release the power button and keep holding the home button for another 7 sec.

Some things from cydia will require you to restart your iPod but most do not, every time u shut it off u must go back into DFU mode and run the patch again.

I Use hitboot
  3. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So lets say I shutted down my iPod and then opened it again.
    From what I understood, I have to go back to DFU mode and I didn't really understand the running the patch thing you mentioned..
  4. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you shut it off with the slider and slide the red button THAT is when you need to boot it from your PC. If you just let it go to sleep or click the power button once and not hold it you just start it up like normal. I have only done it once since I jailbroke mine. I don't see the need to power it totally down. Even before the JB doing it that way took forever to start back up so I don't do it. I just let it sleep.
  5. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thank you

Please Register or Log in to view images

I don't know if should I jailbreak my iPod but maybe in a few days there will be another method without booting it up with the computer and then ill JB it for sure.
    Thank you guys for helping me.
  6. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's a little stressful at first but once you realize you can't really brick it, that it just needs good timing to put it in DFU mode and you can continue it's pretty easy. Even rebooting with the tool floating around here is easy. It starts up almost as fast as if you had powered it down totally.
  7. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So basically every time I shut it down and wanna open it, I have to do that progress via the computer for 17 seconds?
    Also, if I have the applications stored on my computer, will it sync them back to my iPod just like when I do a restore?
    I have some applications that I paid for them and don't want to lose them.
    Thank you.

Oh yeah another thing:
    Lets say I wanna test the DFU mode, how can I change it back to normal mode? Just by shutting it down and opening it back?
  8. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you totally shut it down or the battery dies you have to reboot with PC. Not if you just let it time out or push the power button once.

Apple bought apps will restore and be backed up automatically along with your music like you never even jailbroke it. Cydia and Installer apps wont be saved, BUT won't be lost just rebooting it. Only if you re jailbreak it or restore it to non JB firmware.
  9. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    When you say "battery dies", what exactly do you mean?
    Usually when I hear that I think about that the battery cannot be restored and say bye bye to the iPod Touch..
    Anyways, I will think harder before jailbreaking my iPod.
    Also, if I restore back to the original firmware, I will have all my bought applications back, right?
  10. MANOWAR©

MANOWAR© Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    not that kind of dies. If you left it running until the power was so low it shut off to protect itself it's like you turned it off totally and you will need to boot it back up with the PC.

All your store bought apple products are on your computer unless you deleted them and you will always be able to get them back on the ipod. Just make sure your iTunes is still authorized on your account. If for some reason you uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes you gotta put your password back in. That's all.