Question about tethered Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by thenewguy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. thenewguy

thenewguy New Member

Ok, I just wanted to get some facts straight. A tethered jailbreak means that the jailbreak won't stay if the ipod is powered down, right? So you would need to re jailbreak it at a computer. If this is the case, would it be possible to save the jailbreak on your ipod as a document or something by using it as an external hard drive? that way you could have the jail break on you at all times, and all you would need isa computer. Just a suggestion.
  2. Edin.

Edin. New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wait, you're saying a saved file of the jailbreak into the 2G? That wouldn't work because you can't boot up your iPod Touch after you turn it off. You'll have to re-patch the file system with redsn0w/0wnboot via computer.

By the way, you don't need to re-jailbreak. Just a re-patch which I stated above.

EDIT: Oh I get what you mean. Using the Touch as an HDD could work, but you'll still need a computer.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. rtgiant

rtgiant New Member

well, there has been talk about having a dongle type device to attach to your ipod to boot it up and all it would contain is the patch to boot up your ipod, an external hardrive might work idk though.
  4. linkhero

linkhero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, they could of released the jailbeak already but people will most likely be confused on to why it won't turn on after the first time they shut it off, seeing as how stupidity is everywhere this will happen, as for the smart 2G users, I feel bad for them, or else they could of released it already and all u have to do is keep your ipod on at all times and just charge it and if u ever need to turn it off, do it at home so you can just use redsn0w to turn it on from your computer, I assume all that is required is your ipod touch connected through it's cable to the computer

The dongle which is an idea, replicates what your computer would do when you turn it on
  5. Dablack420

Dablack420 New Member

i totally agree.
    it cant be that hard to put your ipod touch in to sleep mode.
    and if it did turn all the way off you can just use redsn0w to rejailbreak.

thats what id to
    atleast till the untethered version comes out anyway.
  6. Blaze_Blaster

Blaze_Blaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so as long as the iPod isn't turned off it's still jailbroken? Cause mine only turns off when the batteries dead...
  7. linkhero

linkhero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Its always jailbroken after you jailbreak it the first time, the only problem is the patch on startup, so technically its already jailbroken, you boot it up, apply the patch through your computer and keep your ipod on at all times/sleep mode, the only time the patch is needed is when its booting up for a few moments, if its turned off just apply it again, if the patch isn't on it doesn't boot up you get a white screen