question about syncing music.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fritz68, Jan 5, 2008.

1. fritz68

fritz68 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i had about 200 songs on an sd card which i used on my treo. i imported all songs to itunes. i then synced it with my touch. when i tried to play the songs on itunes if the cardreader with the card was still plugged in to the usb then it played fine. if i unplugged it then itunes said it couldn't find original location. so i started deleting all songs from itunes. i picked up my ipod and tried one of the songs and it played. how can a song not be in itunes but it synced to the ipod. would appreciate any help. thanks
  2. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, Im guessing you imported the songs to you iPod whilst the SD card was pluged in. So iTunes copied the files to your iPod which is why you can play them on your iPod because a file of the song(s) exists on the iPod.

However when you import the SD songs onto iTunes it just looks up the songs on the SD card. It doesn't create a new folder. If you want to be able to play the songs all the time then copy the files from the SD card to your hard drvie, music folder of somewhere then just import the file(s) or folder(s) into iTunes and you can then play the songs without the SD card plugged in because the files now exist on you hard drvie not just on the SD card.

Hope that helped.
  3. Eragon

Eragon New Member

I had this same problem before. I've since gone into Preferences and opted to have all music and video files copied to my iTunes music folder. After importing into iTunes, I delete the original source location to prevent having double copies of my files.