Question about staying on 1.1.2..

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by MadRopes, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MadRopes

MadRopes New Member

Ok so I dont really want to update my ipod/jailbreak 1.1.3. cause 1.1.2. seems to be good for me and im used to it.

My question is this:

If I stay on JB'd 1.1.2. will I still be able to use the installer and install apps etc. in the future OR will it all be like "Switched" over to 1.1.3.??

Thanks.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I doubt that 1.1.2 support will be phased out completely when the 1.1.3 jailbreak is released. By the time things stop supporting it, we'll probably be well into later releases.
  3. dfwmusicman

dfwmusicman New Member

It won't be "switched" to 1.1.3 unless you install the update yourself. That has been my experience so far anyway. There have been some reports of iTunes automatically updating some iPods. I don't know if that's true, but you can minimize the risk by paying close attention to your settings in iTunes. If you stay on 1.1.2 you will still be able to use the installer and utilize your jailbroken touch just like you always have.

Now, what Apple may have in the works to combat this in the future...that remains to be seen....
  4. MadRopes

MadRopes New Member

So basically if I were to go into itunes right now and update my JB 1.1.2. touch to 1.1.3. I would just have a vanilla 1.1.3. Ipod touch with no apps but the default??

Thanks.
  5. emjoi

emjoi New Member

Yep, your Jailbreak apps go away.

I read somewheres that 1.1.3 does some major rearrangement of the way things are stored in your Pod.
    Applications no longer run as "root", but as the user "mobile", which is a sensible security move, but it will limit what some applications can do. I expect this will break a number of 1.1.2 applications, and change the rules for writing new Jailbroken apps.

Eventually it will be time to move to a newer firmware. Wait and see how this mythical SDK pans out, and how the Jailbreak world adapts to it, and then follow the best path.

But for now, unless you want the new Apple applications, stick with 1.1.2.