Question about restoring and jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chrisc923, May 6, 2008.

1. chrisc923

chrisc923 New Member

I just bought a new itouch from a friend and im planning on restoring and jailbreaking it.

its already hacked, but i want to restore it so that everything is fresh and new.

ive read around and i think i know what to do, is this right?

Do i just turn it off, then restart it while holding the power and home button, until it shows the "connect to itunes" screen.
    then i plug it into itunes and click the restore button while holding shift, and click on the "iPod1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore" file, then i let it restore.
    then i disconnect and restart it , then open ziphone and reconnect and press the "jailbreak" button, then im done.

is this right?
    also, about how long does it take to restore?
    i dont have a Mac, so i cant restore to a already jailbroken firmware.
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Alright, you don't have to do a force restore, you can simply connect the iPod touch to iTunes through the USB cord and iTunes will recognize it. You'll just want to click the 'Restore' button in iTunes while holding down shift, select the file you listed above, and it will erase everything and set it back to factory defaults, firmware 1.1.4 of course.

If you can't turn on your iPod touch or there's a problem with it, you can do the force restore mode steps you just listed, yes. But I don't believe you said there's anything wrong with it. By force restore I mean the holding down home/sleep buttons, that step isn't necessary if iTunes can recognize the iPod touch. Through iTunes the restore won't take very long, only a couple minutes to 5 minutes at the most.

Yes, you can do what you said through ZiPhone, although it modifies the boot loader causing a potential 'brick' to your iPod touch. I would read more on ZiPhone until you know exactly what you're doing

Please Register or Log in to view images

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    In this case you do not actually need to put the device into recovery mode. You can just shift+click Restore in iTunes to restore to the desired firmware. Other than that, you've got it down. It takes about 4-5 minutes to restore on my machine.

EDIT: Kiks52 beat me to it.
    1 person likes this.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    just remember that anything ziphone does wrong can always be fixed by a restore. Your iPod cannot be bricked. Of course, don't do anything stupid like disconnecting it while it's running.

1 person likes this.
  5. chrisc923

chrisc923 New Member

+rep to all you guys, everything worked perfectly
    im now at jb 1.1.4
    thanks
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This was almost 2 weeks ago, although your welcome