iOS 3.1 Question about iPhone 3GS Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Joeyjoejoe01, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Joeyjoejoe01

Joeyjoejoe01 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My dad has an iPhone 3GS and after I showed him my Jailbroken iPod Touch he wants to know if I can Jailbreak his phone UNTETHERED though. I've searched around and some sources say it's tethered jailbreak, some don't. By using blackra1n on his iPhone 3GS firmware 3.1.2, can I jailbreak it so that it's untethered because he uses it a lot for business and it wouldn't be good if it went flat/needed reboot on him. HE DOES NOT NEED AN UNLOCK, he uses the carrier sim anyway. I also read somewhere that the jailbreak has something to do with the 'bootrom' of the 3GS, could someone explain this please? Also, he doesn't want it to erase any data and I know blackra1n doesn't erase but yeah just saying.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The question is 'how old is his iPhone 3GS'? If it's one of the ones which came out in late 2009, then he's stuck with tethered. If it's one of the ones from before the new iBoot was released, then he should be okay to jailbreak using PwnageTool, which will keep him from upgrading to the latest baseband. IF he's already on 3.1.3, then things might be more difficult.

The reason you don't usually want to use blackra1n or redsn0w is because of the baseband being upgraded automatically with newer FW releases unless the firmware upgrade is done using custom firmware with an older baseband version.
  3. Joeyjoejoe01

Joeyjoejoe01 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok he got it in October or November, no earlier than that. He said to me 'when you find an untethered one then tell' me so I'll just wait for greenpois0n then which will hopefully have an untethered jailbreak for both my iPod Touch 3G and my dad's iPhone 3GS.