Question about GPS's

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by deadlyvirus, May 1, 2010.

1. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I want to get a GPS as I am getting a car soon. What I don't want is a monthly bill. So, if I get a GPS with features such as turn by turn and a speedometer on it, do I have to pay a monthly fee to make it work?
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I though gps service/device was free
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, my sister won a GPS (Garmin Nuvi 255w) in a raffle from her future job, and I know she doesn't have to pay any monthly fees. But I don't know if there is turn-by-turn assistance.
  4. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Good. Didn't want to buy a $200 GPS and not be able to use it.
  5. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am fairly sure there is no monthly fee, it seems to be only iPhone apps that charge that.
  6. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OK, bout to pull the trigger on this one. The only feature I really want is if it clearly states the speed limit on the roads I am on. Does this one do that?
  7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, if you're buying it at BestBuy, you can ask the guy at the store, even though they may not be the most knowledgeable

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. thedj

thedj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Most of them will tell you the speed limit on the roads, a picture of the speed limit will pop up aswell as a sound to warn you about the speed limit, and yeah that one will.
  9. locofocos

locofocos New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My brother and dad both have a Garmin (one of them is a Nuvi, as posted above, I believe). They both have turn by turn directions spoken to you and onscreen. They also both have speedometer showing what the current speed limit is and what your current speed is. It's actually pretty accurate too. Don't worry, there's no monthly fee, but it costs money to update the map. You get one free update within a period of buying it, then they cost money. You shouldn't ever need an update. It's just to show new roads, changed speed limits, etc.
  10. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I looked and the TomTom updates were free and the Garmin ones were like $80. I am getting this TomTom tomorrow. Should be shweet.