Question about Genius Bar and Warranty

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by matt912836, Aug 4, 2009.

1. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Since the iPod touch 2nd Generation isn't even a year old, that does mean that technically every 2g is still all under warranty as long as theres no physical damage or water damage, correct? I have an 2nd gen touch but the back is really scratched, to where I cant clearly read the serial, so I cant enter it to confirm the warranty online. I'm not the original owner, so I do not have access to the iTunes it was last connected to to check it or the original box. I'm planning to replace it since it does not want to turn on or respond to DFU mode, and theres no water damage or cracked screen or any of that sort.

One more question, how exactly does replacements at the Genius Bar work? I know they give you a brand new iPod, but is it like in the box with the cable and headphones and everything? Or do they JUST hand you a brand new iPod...
  2. SuperNova

SuperNova Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    they just hand you the ipod wrapped in some sort of plastic. thats it. nothing else.
    and i do believe its a refurb.

and based on everything you are saying, i doubt you are gonna get a new one. they need to know the serial number to give you a new one.
  3. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Usually the original box has the serial number...

I'd try to figure that out first

& yea you'd be getting a refurb. Apple doesn't give out "new"
  4. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for the quick replies

Unfortunately I'm not the original owner so I do not have the box. Hopefully the guy I bought it from still has iTunes on his computer so he can do the ctrl+about itunes trick. Im pretty sure you can see the serial from the iPod itself, but then again its not working which is why I'm replacing it in the first place.

Any other suggestions? Like i said, logically, it is still in warranty since it doesn't have water damage or any user damage, and no iPod touch 2g is a year old yet.
  5. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Wait plug your iPod into your computer

in iTunes it says the serial number if you click on the icon tab on the left
  6. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It doesn't even want to boot into DFU mode, so I can't restore it.
  7. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Can you turn it on at all? Under settings, there is one that I think is called about. It tells you how many songs, videos, etc. are on there, as well as serial number.
  8. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    if it's not jailbroken, i'd just bring it into the Apple Store.