Question about games like iMobsters, Mafia Wars, Vampires Live, Kingdoms Live, etc.

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by astrosaurus, Jun 27, 2009.

1. astrosaurus

astrosaurus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I tried to give one of these games a shot earlier and I couldn't really get into it. I know there are a ton of these on the app store and for the most part they seem to be the same gameplay just with different art assets swapped out. I was just wondering if there's a definitive "one" I should give a shot or if they're all pretty similar.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what "genre" do these fall under? Calling it a straight MMO seems a bit misleading I guess. I'm sure there's a more concise term for it.
  2. Aramyth

Aramyth New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I call them "Menu based" MMO's.

One that I enjoy, that I find is a bit different from the rest, is Epic Pet Wars. However, I think the way these other developers are constantly spitting out reskinned versions of the same game is insane.
  3. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Code Hoarding MMOs. All the games are basically the same, get a whole bunch of codes to get stronger/get higher levels and/or buy points to exchange for good weapons/items. EPW was okay for a while, but it's really boring after maybe a week.
  4. rapha

rapha New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I play Mafia Live! and it is the only one I have tried that I can actually get in to. I like it a lot because you can play it from a web browser (from computer) after you reach level 10, which takes all of maybe a day.
  5. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They go under the heading "spamathon" games.

Please Register or Log in to view images

A menu based MMO is more along the lines of CozyQuest