Question about editing the firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Alexpb, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Alexpb

Alexpb New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is there any way to edit files in the firmware files (.ipsw) and save it without getting a 1403 error in itunes when trying to used the edited firmware?

I wanted to simply test something by changing the file applelogo.img2 with batterycharging.img2 but i get the 1403 error. I'm pretty sure it's because there is a checksum that itunes looks for and it's not adding up or something?

Any info would be great,

thanks
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If there was a way to this, it would be a miracle. That would mean you can add more applications into the file so you can have more apps without jailbreaking.
  3. Alexpb

Alexpb New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol i figured out how to temporarily change it during a restore.

If you take the .ipsw file and open it with winrar (don't extract it) than go to Firmware folder and drag and drop any other .img2 file (other than applelogo.img2) to the desktop (or any folder) and than rename that img2 file to applelogo.img2 than drag it back into winrar, it will overwrite the old applelogo.img2 file. Now put your touch into recovery mode, open it in itunes and restore it and as it's restoring the icon will switch from the applelogo to whatever you changed it to.

However when the restore is done and it restarts, it changes back to the apple logo

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well once jailbroken cant you take the software and do the same thing????
  5. shamrock11

shamrock11 New Member

any ideas on how to stop making it change back to the apple logo after restoring?