Question about Android

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by theodore214, Jul 13, 2010.

1. theodore214

theodore214 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    (I think this is the right place to post this, right?)

So seeing as I'm going to high school next year, my mom is going to make me get a phone. She doesn't allow me to get an iPhone due to price and that I already have 2 iPod Touches.

So the question about Android is, is it like the Apple iOS that updates itself (like the new iOS4 update) or do you have to actually get a new phone to update the Android OS?

Also, does anybody have any good recommendations for a phone (preferably a smartphone) that's nice for texting and doesn't cost enormous amounts of money (my mom is making me get a "pay-as-you-go" card or something like that).

So far these are my choices (I might not get them but the thing is I was bored last night so I decided to look at some reviews and I liked these ones)

LG Ally
    Motorola DROID
    Samsung Galaxy S
    HTC Legend
    HTC EVO 4G

Thanks in advance.
  2. rightperspective

rightperspective Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    My sister's ex has a Droid, & he let me use it a few times. The times I used it to go online and do other stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed using it. It's a pretty sweet device, even surpassing the iPhone with some features.

you have to take your carrier into consideration as well. The Droid is on Verizon; you have coverage EVERYWHERE. The HTC EVO 4G is on Sprint, which isn't bad, but isn't Verizon. But the EVO has 4G as well (at certain areas), so you have to consider that, too.

If it were me, I would either get the Droid or the EVO, but probably the Droid since the EVO is almost like a prototype phone.
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    The EVO is far better than the Droid in every aspect......

If you are going ton Verizon, get the Droix X or Droid Incredible, not the original Droid as it is pretty old hardware now.
  4. theodore214

theodore214 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Guess I'm going for the Droid than.

But no one answered the question about the Android OS.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Yes it updates, whether OTA(over the air) or through the manufactures update tool.
  6. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Droid incredible is going to be the phone I get.
  7. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Updates to Android are released, but it's on your device manufacturer to release them. Google can release Android 2.2 or Android 3, but you won't be able to use it until whoever made your phone makes an update. There are unofficial updates sometimes though.

Good luck with getting a smartphone on a pay-as-you-go plan. An Android phone has the same (or close to the same) initial cost as an iPhone and it also has the same $30/month (or whatever it is) mandatory data package.
  8. gardenislandbradda

gardenislandbradda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so if i unlock and iphone i cant use a pay as u go plan?
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well a Droid 2 is going to be released shortly I believe.

Also, those Samsung Galaxy S phones look pretty nice. I'd go for one of those if you can.
  10. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The Droid X is out now... or at least today. Sometime within the next few hours. It's freakin beast. Either get it or wait for the galaxy s.