Question about 320 x 240 mp4 videos on Touch. Stretched or surronding black bars?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ryuukumori, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I created a thread like this a couple months ago, in hope of some answers... and all I got were some guessed answers, and everyone was unsure about how they ACTUALLY looked on the iPod Touch video screen (native resolution is 480 x 320)

I have half my TV Shows encoded in 320 x 240, made for the 5.5G iPod Video.

I do not own a Touch, so I have no way to tell. I have heard many guesses from people that 320 x 240 videos are either stretched or have black bars surrounding the entire screen to fit 320 x 240 on the screen.

Well, I am here to ask HOW they look. Are they stretched or are there surrounding black bars? I would rather have the stretch, which doesn't seem to bother me as much since it would fill up the screen, than to have a measly 320 x 240 encoding with black bars...

So, for anyone who has 320 x 240 video files on their iPod Touch, what exactly is it? Stretched or black bars?

I would appreciate exact and precise answers rather than guesses. I do not want people posting if they do NOT have 320 x 240 videos on their Touch.

Thank you.
  2. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

It has black bars when normal, and when you double tap they go away completely. If you aren't sure just try it out yourself.
  3. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Okay, remember I don't own a Touch. It's impossible to check...

Secondly, I ask if when not double tapped, if there are black bars in WIDESCREEN mode or all around (black bars on the sides and top and bottom). I already know how the 480 x 320 work like what you say. This is 320 x 240 we are talking about.
  4. idoubtit92

idoubtit92 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Black bars ALL around when its not stretched and only on the top and bottom when you double tap
  5. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Here's a screenshot of what it will look like. Although I'm sure the iPod stretches it to fit the screen, I don't have any 320 x 240 videos on me right now so I can't test it. I'll add both of my pics.

Attached Files:

6. CarlosR26

CarlosR26 New Member

That is exactly how they look, two black bars either side. But you can zoom in to fill the screen, or make a 480x360 video 4:3
  7. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, i dont have an ipoT yet, so if you have 480x320 movies, what happenes then? will it stretch even bigger?
  8. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

They will fill the screen.
  9. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Okay, so if all possible, it would be cool to make a screenshot of someone with their iPod Touch playing 320 x 240 video, both double tapped and original.
  10. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Ill make some tommorrow when I have access to my PC.