Python, how's it working?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by EyesOfARaven, Nov 15, 2007.

1. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

I'm getting my iPod Touch tomorrow and the ability for me to make apps right away depends on how the Python distribution works on iPod Touch. If it works closely enough to the desktop versions, I could be writing all manner of things right off the bat. However, if it isn't able to do sockets, for example, I'd be crippled and forced to learn the very foreign (to me) native app languages.. Can someone verify how Python works?

1. Is there an interactive interpreter?
    2. Can you kinda just "run" a py file?
    3. Is there even a terminal on the phone, third party or no? - Yes there is... found it in the compatibility list.
    4. Is there a python gui kit for ipod touch/iphone?
    5. Socket support?
    6. SDL support?
    7. Anything else you can think of?
  2. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

well Im no expert but from what i've heard Cocoa is the main language for iPhone apps. But then again that sentence probably just made me appear like a complete n00b, so i doubt I helped any.

Oh, and yes there is a third party terminal.

one more thing i thought of that might help is, as to my knowledge, iphone and iPod touch, both run basically an edited and stripped down version of OS X. Apple even said so themselves in the iPhone keynote. So... if python works on OS X i'll assume it can work on whatever the OS for itouch/iphone is called.
  3. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Well thanks but I knew what you've said

Please Register or Log in to view images

There's also definitely a Python port of 2.5 series, which definitely has an interactive interpreter... I just am concerned at this point if there's a way to run .py files, because having to type in your program every time or use python calls to find/run the file would be irritating.

Cocoa, btw, is a framework that Apple made for making Apple stuff. As well, I just pulled "The Cocoa frameworks are completely accessible to Objective-C programs, and can even be accessed using native syntax from AppleScript, Python, and Ruby." from their site, and that could mean we can write full-on iphone/pod programs in python, ruby, or if they support it (dunno if they do) applescript. This could be very good for making the number of apps increase.