Pyro sand - a new and im my opinion more fun version of sand the game.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by stekkerbox, Jan 16, 2008.

1. stekkerbox

stekkerbox New Member

check this out

http://enigmasand.com/pyro2.html

its like the normal sand game but then explosions!
    to put it in a mathimatical way

sand the game + explosions = uber 1337 sweet cool wicket awsome.

oops i almost forgot -

please make this for ipot/phone.
  2. silfer

silfer New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea, that version of sands is awesome. Please someone make this for the ipot!!
  3. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    They have the normal sand game for the ipod with the 4 elements and then some, but that tends to lag a bit, even when the screen isnt near full. I'd rather we have a faster version than a more complex, probably slower one
  4. toehead

toehead New Member

There is also a version called Evolution RGB which has a much much faster rendering engine. No lagging at all.
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Here's the real problem, put into the same terms:

Crapload of physics calculations + 412MHz CPU = !Sand game with explosions.

Here's the longhand version:

There are two distinct sets of physics engines at work here, both working together.

1. Particle Physics. This is the calculation of physical interactions between various types of particle elements. This in itself isn't very mathematically intense, but when you're applying it to 5,000, 10,000, even 50,000 particles, it all adds up to incredibly slow frame rates.

2. If particle physics is easy, fluid dynamics is insane. This is a physics model that calculates how fluid (and air) currents move in a given volume. This requires a hell of a lot of CPU power because it has to simulate the physics of currents of invisible air (or fluid) particles for the entire area -- in this case, the whole screen.

Even if you were to limit the number of available sand (or whatever) particles to, say, 1,000 particles, it would still run incredibly slow, and that many particles would hardly be fun to play with. (1,000 particles sounds like a lot, but consider that the iPod Touch's screen has 153,600 pixels in it, so you're talking about less than 0.006% of the screen area devoted to sand particles, or just slightly over two lines of sand in landscape mode. Slow sand.

Incidentally, Evolution RGB gets it speed by pixel doubling, so it really only has to simulate an area one quarter the actual size of the screen (240x160); it just doubles the pixels to make it fill the screen
  6. shuriken

shuriken New Member

i agree....more elements, and this = ftw.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. bensp92

bensp92 New Member

Great description Mindfield. VERY interesting!!!
  8. PhoisGOOD

PhoisGOOD New Member

i love putting nitro then blowing it up, only sand game i like
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Incidentally, the link in the OP doesn't contain fluid dynamics, it just does a relatively crap simulation of explosions.

If you want realistic fluid dynamics and explosions, you need to play with Powder Game [Review] [Game](Java required). Full simulation here. Be sure to play with the different display modes (on the right, below the LOAD option, defaulted to "BG-Line") and the variety of materials. The option below that one (The "Dot x") sets how many particles; S is 20K particles, M is 30K, L is 40K. Having a fast system will help here.)
  10. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

That's exactly why my Sand.app runs slow and I don't have the expertise to do pixel doubling.