pwnage possible without DFU'ing around?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by styylus, Aug 8, 2008.

1. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so I've had immense problems getting my ipod into DFU mode, which seems required in the WinPwn process... interestingly I just ran into this post on the DevTeam blog:

"Update 5: If DFU restores are giving you trouble, another route to pwned 2.0 for 1G owners is to use our first pwnage at 1.1.4. Once you are pwned there, you can do a normal recovery-mode restore to your custom 2.0 ipsw. BTW the iPhone does *not* need to be pre-pwned to be able to DFU-restore into a pwned ipsw — it needs to be pre-pwned only for normal recovery-mode restores of custom ipsw’s."​

if I'm understanding this correctly-- and this assumes that the IPT applies here as well (and Windows)-- does this mean that I can use the earlier version of the tool to get a pwned 2.0 on my IPT from 1.1.4, and then go from there?

of course, what I'm trying to find out ultimately is if there's a way to get a pwned 2.0 touch without having to go through DFU mode-- or even if there's some tool out there that automates the process of getting into DFU mode (all the ones I've seen-- iLiberty, Ziphone, etc.-- don't seem to do it correctly).

and trust me....I've tried an obscene amount of times to get into DFU mode-- tried every method I can find online (6,7,10 seconds holding, different sequences and so on), and I'm either just not getting the timing right somehow, or there's something unique in my setup that's inhibiting it

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for any insight.
  2. h0mewreck3r

h0mewreck3r New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey stylus,

I had the same problem with getting mine into DFU.. the only way that I could get it to go was using the following method:

1. unplug the usb cable
    2. hold HOME and STANDBY to let it power off... Once it shuts off, release ONLY the STANDBY
    3. while still holding HOME, plug in the usb cable

once the 10 seconds are up, it will reconnect into iTunes and set up for recovery.

Hope it works.
  3. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks much for the alternate method h0mewreck3r-- will definitely try it.

here's another question though: upon failing to get into DFU mode-- i.e. the connect to iTunes image is on the iPod screen, and it's prompting to go into regular recovery-- can I just turn the iPod off, and try entering DFU again, OR do I need to recover back to whatever-- 1.1.4/5-- and start again from there?

THANKS.
  4. Gatzy118

Gatzy118 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think what they mean is restore to 1.1.4 and then pwn your iPod, then you can restore to a custom 2.0 without going into dfu mode. Hope that helps, btw if I get enough votes I will make a one touch 2.0 jailbreak and restore so look in the forum thanks, Gatzy118