Review Puzzle Quiz

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Education, May 30, 2009.

1. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Puzzle Quiz

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: May 30, 2009
    Version: 113PQ22052009
    Size: 3.8MB
    Developer: DigitalFun S.r..l.
    Home Page: http://www.puzzlequiz.it/index.php?lang=eng

My Comments
    Firstly, I would like to thank digitalfun for giving me a promo code of this app. If you want a promo code of this app you can visit this thread: [NEW VERSION! FREE PROMO CODES!] Puzzle Quiz

What is Puzzle Quiz?
    Puzzle Quiz is exactly what the name describes. Its a puzzle with a quiz. There are many types of puzzle games, this one is the type with pictures where the app jumbles the picture into pieces and your goal it to unjumble it. It has similar gameplay to some other puzzle apps but this one gives you the ability to play with your own pictures.

Features
    Puzzle Quiz has 3 different levels of difficulty including Easy, Normal and Hard. Easy jumbles the pictures to 24 pieces, Normal jumbles them into 40 pieces and Hard jumbles them into 64 pieces. Every level has 15 pictures for you to unjumble, all with a very nice and soothing scenery from around the world. You can also track score of your records and even see who is the fastest in the Global rankings! There is also the option to play with your own pictures!

Interface
    When you start the game, you are greeted with a nice and simple menu with 5 buttons, New Game, Continue, My Puzzle, Rankings and Options. Tapping New Game takes you to a new screen which lets you choose the difficulty you want to play. Once you have selected one, you are instantly taken to the start of the game. Continue resumes your saved games. For the first time playing, Continue cannot be selected until you have a saved game. After every level, the game is automatically saved. My Puzzle takes you to your Photos where you can select a photo to play with. Next is Rankings, there are two arrows on the top letting you choose the difficulty in which you achieved the records for. There are two tabs, Records and World. Records is your own records while World is obviously the Global records. Last but not least is Options, where you have the choice of disabling and enabling Audio, read how to play, the credits and look at more games by DigitalFun.

Gameplay
    The goal of the game is to unjumble all the pieces of the picture as fast as you possibly can. At the start of each level, the game gives you as much time as you want to remember how the picture looked like. It is similar to the rest of the puzzle games, however Puzzle Quiz gives you a question after every puzzle you complete. In addition to the quiz, the game makes you use your brain by giving time bonuses for 2 correct pieces with a single move, 3 consecutive correct pieces, 4 consecutive correct pieces and so on. The questions asked are often related to the picture you solved and are also quite hard. With 3 different levels of difficulty, it gives players a choice of how easy or hard they want the game to be. In addition, the ability to play with your own pictures gives players a more enjoyable time. However, I am not a big fan of puzzle games and it did bore me after a while although it was great fun in the beginning.

Controls
    The controls are great in Puzzle Quiz. Why? Because all you need to do is shake and tap. The game is really simple and easy to control. Just a simple shake of your device will start the level immediately. Just tap on one piece of the picture and tap on another to swap the positions. While your in a game, tapping a small arrow not only pauses the game but gives you the option to turn on and off audio, read how to play the game and to quit to the main menu.

Visuals
    The visuals in Puzzle Quiz is quite decent. It's really simple and plain. Most games that make their visuals simple and plan normally fail, but I think that the creators of Puzzle Quiz did a great job with their menu. The menu has a nice animated background, the color scheme is great and the animations of when you press a button is really smooth and nice.

Audio
    There is only one background music in Puzzle Quiz. It is in the menu and I think the creators did a great job by putting this background music for the menu. This is because the actual background of the menu goes really well with the music. Its really soothing and calming and gives you a nice feeling. While you're playing a level, there isn't any background music, only sound effects when you move a piece and get a piece in the right position. I think the sound effects suits the game and actually brings life to the game.

Replay Value
    With a range of pictures to unjumble at different difficulties, it's hard to get bored of the game. In addition, the ability to play with you own pictures keeps you entertained for hours. The global highscores also keeps you playing to try and achieve the top spot. In time, the game will eventually get boring, but if you ever happen to get more photos, they bring back the fun into the game.

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Another great review. Can I suggest you add a 'replay value' score too to show whether it's an app that has longevity and you want to come back to? Just an idea. Also, I spotted a few grammatical errors, but that's just me being a perfectionist. No worries - it's the content and presentation that counts and this is near perfect!

p.s. many thanks for putting a review up of a free code app you received in the forums. It's members like your good self that keep the devs returning to drop more free codes into the forums.
  3. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the compliments again. As for your suggestion, i will definitely add it to my reviews. I only managed to find one spelling error, which i did correct, unless unjumble isn't a word and gameplay is two separate words.
  4. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Great review for a great game. No arguments for any of your points.
  5. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review. And Nice orange name :L