Putting songs on 2G 2.2.1 Ipod Touch is SLOW

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Crashwithuhk, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Crashwithuhk

Crashwithuhk New Member

So today I just received a brand new 2ng Gen iPod Touch (8gb). Using the latest version of iTunes on my Windows machine (not bad spec-wise. C2D, 2gb RAM, USB 2.0) I download and install the 2.2.1 firmware update so that the iPod is up to date.

From there I attempt to move about 6gb worth of music (all MP3) onto the iPod and it's taking forever. We're talking about 30+ seconds per song. At that rate, we're talking about 8 hours to move it all over.

So I do some reading into the issue and try everything under the sun. Reboot iTunes. No dice. Reboot windows. No dice. Unplugged all other USB devices from the PC. No dice. Restarted the iPod. Nada. Finally I restored the iPod and success!

It starts to transfer at a better rate (300 songs in about 20 minutes) and then somewhere around song 371 it just slows down again. Restored again and no luck, it was back to being slow.

When I would try moving a few over one by one to test it, I noticed some songs would transfer quickly, and some painfully slow. Oddly this would happen within an album, so song one of an album would shoot by, then two and three would crawl, and then four would shoot on over. It was a seemingly random pattern with far more slow transfers than quick.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I've tried looking into the issue online but it seems like the majority of sync time issues are related to backups. But since I'm using a brand spankin' new iPod I really don't have anything to back up, and only when I try to move songs over does this happen.

Being a first time touch owner, I don't know how fast apps are supposed to install, but when I tried at one point I managed to install about 20 in a little under 5 minutes, so I have no idea if that's normal or not either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. wSYayo

wSYayo New Member

not normal at all, i am able to sync about 4 gigs of music in about 3-4 mins
  3. Cydia Fan

Cydia Fan New Member

Maybe your USB Ports are dysfunctional, are all of your other USB devices working properly?
  4. Crashwithuhk

Crashwithuhk New Member

Yup. I even tried different ports in case that was the issue.

I wanted to have music for the commute tomorrow so I started transferring as I posted the OP and now, 3 hours later I only have 250 out of 1100 songs transferred.

What confuses me most is that at one point I did have everything transferring normally, yet for some reason unknown it just slowed down again mid transfer.
  5. Cydia Fan

Cydia Fan New Member

That is weird, have you tried using a different cord?
  6. Wiizz

Wiizz New Member

Mine is slow, but not this slow. Do it overnight maybe? Put your airconditioner on so it doesn't overheat.
  7. Crashwithuhk

Crashwithuhk New Member

Just stopped the transfer, rebooted the PC (thus iTunes as well) and the iPod and even switched the USB ports again. No luck.

I'm going to have a friend lend me his cable sometime this weekend to see if that's the cause.

Edit: I think I found it. Doing a little more research and looking at multiple forums, I've only found a handful of people with my exact same problem. Our common trait? We're all running Windows 7.

To be honest this'll be the first time since Windows 7 went live that I've run into an issue with it, which is why it didn't even enter into my mind that it could cause the problem. So I suppose unless I want to set up a partition with XP solely for iTunes, I'll just have to leave it overnight and deal with the speeds until someone addresses the issue.

Edit 2: Wow. So what a strange turn. A little background, I have 4 USB 2.0 ports. Right now 2 of them are being used on 2 western digital external hard drives, one on the iPod, and one is free.

As I was installing a Windows update I noticed I heard one of the drives spin up (it's odd but one is always on, the other turns off when it's not being used) and the second it did the transfer speed up INCREDIBLY. It also makes sense that the time it was working after the restore I was watching a video file on that hard drive. I tried removing both drives and it slowed down again.

So basically the transfer only works at a normal speed when this one specific external drive of mine is active. I just turned on a video file from that drive when I started writing this out, and in that short time it's transferred over 350 songs. I'm not enough of a computer whiz to figure out why this is happening, but at least now I know to watch some "Always Sunny in Philly" whenever I want to add more music.

Side note: My music isn't on said drive. It's on my internal drive. Nor is iTunes.