putting genius on your ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by williby12, Sep 9, 2008.

1. williby12

williby12 New Member

Ok, so I just downloaded the new and wonderful(?) update for ipod, (2.1) onto my rather old by now (I suppose) ipod touch (I got it last x-mas... i'm not sure what model that makes it)
    but anyways, I downloaded it, and it says its fine... but i cant seem to use the genius on my ipod...
    I tap it when its playing, and look for the little genius button, but there is none.
    I've activated genius on my itunes and looked through my settings...
    I've also looked fairly throughly through the internet for help, and haven't found any

Please Register or Log in to view images

thanks so much

2. stevenplanet

stevenplanet Banned

Try rebooting. It worked for me. BTW genius does not work for me. I played some pop song and it linked it to Metallica. (WTF)
  3. williby12

williby12 New Member

haha
    well i unplugged it from my computer, plugged it in again and now genius is on my ipod.... hmm lemme see how it works...
    what? ok well the picture is there now, but it tells me that it is not enabled, and that i should do so on my itunes.... but i already have >_>
    phooey.
    ok, well i unplugged it and then replugged(a word?) and it told me it couldnt sync because of some error
    then i did it again, and it didnt even try and sync...
    hmm ok now it did sync... lesse if it helped at all
    ...nope. still says i havent enabled it...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    woo hoo!
    it finally worked!
    what i did (for future confused people) was made a playlist on my itunes genius thing (on my computer) and then put the playlist onto my ipod... then it finally realized that i had activated it...

------------------double post merged------------------
    oh never mind...
    it shows up
    but for all of the songs it says: "try again/ this song does not have enough related songs to create a Genius playlist"

so yeah... nevermind
    -_-
  4. MikefromCanmore

MikefromCanmore New Member

yeah just unplugging it worked but for somereason it really likes nirvana and I only have 1 album of it...
  5. soxfan22792

soxfan22792 New Member

yeah i have the same problem

yeah so i have the same problem basically. i updated my touch, and no genius icon. i have unplugged my ipod about 3 times now and still no icon, and i even restarted it and still no icon. any solutions?
  6. maxpower5000

maxpower5000 New Member

Very annoying - but this could help

I just figured something out that is extremely irritating. I was having the same problem...I saw the genius icon on my ipod but every time I tried to create a playlist, I got the "This song does not have enough related songs..." message. I decided to take some of your advice and I added a genius playlist from itunes to my ipod. I didn't notice any change at first until I chose a song that was on that playlist and hit the genius button and, presto chango, it worked.

The point? I've now realized that only songs which appear on another genius playlist can be used to create one of their own. I think this means that i have to get every song in my itunes library on a genius playlist AND get all those playlists on my ipod if I want to create genius playlists on the ipod.

This posting may be a little convoluted and rambling but I'm just so damn frustrated. It's such a cool feature...I just wish I could use it.

If anyone notices something that I'm missing or wrong about let me know. I'd love to get this resolved.

7. tracingPAPER

tracingPAPER New Member

that happened to me but you know what, you don't need to put it on a playlist then into your ipod. i think it's because the songs that's currently on your ipod isn't genius-tized. heh. what i mean by that is that you could've uploaded all your songs into your ipod before you genius-tized it. and the songs in that playlist are current genius-tized songs. just genius all your songs in itunes on your computer than take all those songs and put them back into your ipod. that's what i did and i think that was the solution the apple.com/support forum suggested and it worked, kinda.

anyway... the one song in my library that CAN'T be genius-tized into a playlist is Death Is the Road to Awe from the movie The Fountain. its' either because i don't have any songs in my collection that it can't relate with (which is weird because i have Sigur Ros and the Alone in the Dark soundtrack and Lux Aeterna from Clint Mansell in my library), OR because the whole genius is just new and funky.
  8. maxpower5000

maxpower5000 New Member

Makes sense. Still pretty annoying. Looks like only songs that are already in a genius playlist can be used with the genius button on the ipod. I'd still love a fix from apple...real soon please!