iOS 4.0 Push Notifications: Keeping you in the Loop.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by David., Jul 13, 2010.

1. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This article is in response to _JKK_'s article: Notifications: A Monotasking Sentiment in a Multitasking OS.

Please Register or Log in to view images

With the release of the iOS 4 for third generation devices, and even the jailbroken iPod touch 2G, comes a plethora of new features. The most notable, or even the most awaited feature, is multitasking. The implementation of multitasking is said to be overdue. Well, I say it has just been waiting for its partner, push notifications, to be settled in. The new multitasking feature coincides with notifications exceptionally well.
    In iPhone OS 3.0 (iOS 3.0) the concept of Push Notifications was implemented. Now iDevice users could get certain application updates, right as they happen. Now, with the support of multitasking, users can switch in between applications quickly, without disrupting what they are doing. For the sake of the argument, I will use _JKK_’s example with a few tweaks. Let’s say you are playing Angry Birds, you are having a good time flinging little birds at concrete, wood, ice, etc., and Facebook sends you a push notification saying that you have a new message. You are not ready to quit playing, so you play a little longer. Now you are ready to check that notification. You simply tap home and then open Facebook, assuming that it isn’t already open; then all you would need to do is double tap the home button and bring up your multitasking bar. So you open Facebook, respond to the notification, and go back to Angry Birds. Now, you have another, you can simply bring up your multitasking bar and quickly go there, and take care of it, or if you aren’t ready, tap close and do it whenever you please.

A point in the “con” article of this is the intrusiveness of the notifications. Android’s notifications appear on the “status bar” and let you choose whether or not you want to respond. I have two points on this matter:

1. Is this not the same way Apple does it? They give you an alert letting you know that the application has an update, and you can choose to acknowledge it or not. Simple. Also to access the notification on android you swipe down the status bar, and tap on the notification in which you want to respond to. Is this really a big issue compared to simply tapping home and then tapping on the application? Seriously. It requires the same amount of energy to do so.

2. My second point on this matter is that you have the option to choose if you want the application to send you Push Notifications or not. It prompts you upon opening the application the first time. You can decide if an application is important enough to “bother” you with updates. Chances are, if you think an application is important enough to send you notifications, then you probably wouldn’t mind it notifying you.

Another point brought up is the actual way Apple implemented this. As stated, every company implements it differently. Apple has put this in their way. The “box with a brief description and two options” serves to show the user what the notification is about. So you can decide if Cindy Lou commenting on your status is worthy to switch to now. That way, you know more than “one new Facebook update.”

There are currently three ways of notifying in iOS4: sounds, alerts, and badges. You can choose which type of notifications you want. So you could set something of important (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) to do all three, so you won’t miss it. And other’s to just badges if you want. The point is Apple has implemented notifications in a new way. They have “thought different.” They have added a new way to do this, different from the rest. It may not be the best in some opinions, but it achieves the goal.

Also, people always want change. They can never embrace a feature, and appreciate it, without cutting it down. Sure, there are flaws with every update, but it is the fact that it is there. Sure, you might think that the feature is lacking, but others might not. All in all, you will like what you will like. As much as you might complain, the feature is in fact there. It is up to the user to make the most out of it.

The last point I want to bring up is the push notification system itself. No one said this is the way to go, or that it is better than Android or webOS, but Apple does say they are “thinking different” and they did give you notifications. Whether or not you like how it was done, the point is that it was done. When looking at notifications across many operating systems, you have to look at the OS itself, and how each one fits in. With the new multitasking feature, push has found its home on iOS 4. While there is room for improvement, Push Notifications have found their place, in iOS 4.
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Dude, awesome title!

nice job
  3. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  4. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Good job, I wish there was a fame or rep button so I could press it 1 million times.
  5. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Haha thanks.
  6. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This issue is 'wrong' for me for two reasons.

The first being how obtrusive the notifications are.
    A great example of this would be my cousin and I sending each other messages while playing games to screw each other up. Sounds childish, but it shows how annoying or unnecessary they are.

The second is change.
    The SAME notification system has been used since the first iPhone.
    At that time, there was no App Store. There were no push notifications.
    No multitasking. Nothing that would require a real notification system.

With the way the iPhone is and has to offer, it really needs a Notification overhaul at this point.

P.S. Nice argument. It's good to see this kinda stuff here.
  7. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well you can choose what kind of notifications you want. So if an application is important enough for you to want to know updates, then you probably want to know when something is updated etc.
  8. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I should not have to sacrifice notifications for different applications in the first place.

After all, Push notifications are for notifying you, aren't they?

9. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    And you can't deny that they don't notify you AND get your attention.
  10. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's the problem.

If I'm doing something, I don't want to be bothered by something else with a giant blue box. If Apple's going to keep it that way, at least give developers a way to reply to something without loading the application. Like QuickReply.