Push Notification?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Pilk, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Pilk

Pilk New Member

Anyone notice it's missing?. That was the main thing that 2.1 was supposed to deliver. Nice one Apple.
  2. jrflurry

jrflurry New Member

Oh ya i forgot about that...dang. The push im function was one of the things i was really really looking forward to. Maybe it will still be part of the update....? i hope
  3. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    maybe itll be there. they never tell everything!
  4. rileyt

rileyt New Member

On the 2.1 download page on the apple website it claims there are updates to mail, cal and contacts for 2.1 software. A fix maybe?
  5. vncnt

vncnt New Member

Well, I upgraded to 2.1 and the Push option is available.
    Although I don't quite get why it would be that useful on the iPod Touch - since it wouldn't get the eMails when it is in standby (using a 15min check it does check in the background) or am I wrong?
  6. Pilk

Pilk New Member

the push notification system is different to push email, calendar etc. it allows applications to notify the user of something, even when they are not actively in use.

for example, an rss reader could notify you when you have a new post to read, or facebook could let you know when you get a new friend request. currently if the applications is not being used (i.e your using another application) then it cant do that. its not push email etc which are definitely in there and im using everyday.
  7. vncnt

vncnt New Member

Oh okay, sorry for my post then

Please Register or Log in to view images

Is my assumption concerning Push and standby correct though?
    If your iPod is not on standby but switched on I understand that Push is better than 15min check of course. But how about standby?
  8. Pilk

Pilk New Member

im pretty sure it does standby too. though dont hold me to it. i dont know about calendars and contacts (as to check you have to turn your ipod on obviously) but i think that email does. ive got emails on my computer and ipod at the same time before, both with push enabled, and the ipod has been on standby.