Push Notification

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by carri07, Jun 18, 2009.

1. carri07

carri07 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have a question about the supposedly push notification system in the 3.0... will this mean that apps like for example in facebook, if i get a message or someone writes on my wall or i get a friend request WHILE I AM NOT in the app, will i get a badge saying that i have something new that i havent seen like the mail app?
  2. kawaiitora

kawaiitora New Member

It varies from application, in this case. At the current time, no. Facebook will actually have to add it in their code, when its ready, your device will need to be hooked into your computer, then you will open facebook, and it will tell you that notifications have been activated, and that you can change your notifications in settings. As for after its been implimented, probably. The best example is if your using an instant messenger, and you quit the app, and recieve an IM, you'll get a sound, a pop up, with their username and message, and the choice to cancel or view, and a badge on the icon, like in mail.
  3. carri07

carri07 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ohhh ok thanks
  4. kawaiitora

kawaiitora New Member

Just know in all instances I've seen so far, you always get an advance notice from the app itself if it is going to have notification support the first time you run it in 3.0. If you app never even asks if it can send you notifications, then it doesn't have it! Don't worry, most services that need the push notices should be adding it in soon enough. (I'm mildly peeved its not done already,) but services like BeeJive, said that they had it done and submitted right after WWDC, so... blame apple, alot of people probably had it finished before 3.0.