Push? I think not.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Collateral, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ....Push.

Having the sever forward the information to you as soon as it receives it...

That would be helpful, if you didn't have to have your ipod awake the whole time.

I noticed that after the ipod is asleep for a couple minutes, it cuts off wifi. Therefore, "push" is rendered useless. I've noticed this because many times i have "Slid to unlock" and there goes the "Hey you have a new email" chirp.

Well thanks iPod, that email would have been helpful 2 hours ago when you were in my pocket.

So, the point is... Is push pretty stupid on the ipod because it doesn't wake your iPod from sleep, because the iPod cuts itself off from wifi, or am i having a bug with my iPod and you all think im crazy?
  2. EMForce

EMForce New Member

you can use insomnia to keep your wifi alive even after its in standby
  3. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I do know what it is. I wasn't trying to expain it, or give a dictionary definition, just use a watered-down concept to get my message across. [sarcasm]Thanks, though.[/sarcasm]
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thats what I'm using as my temporary fix, but I wish someone could come up with a permanent fix or a plist to edit that will keep the wifi always on without a running process in the background.

I have no coding experiance and therefore wouldn't know where to start, or i would have done it myself.
  4. cbubbagump

cbubbagump Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    dude my ipods chirping in my pocket right now and it's off
  5. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    how long has it been off? Because I think its like 8 minutes or something until the ipos cuts off wifi...
  6. cbubbagump

cbubbagump Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you may be right it's only been off a few minutes
  7. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm when I had push enabled my ipod was chirping all the time, then again it was connected to my Laptop so i guess that doesn't count.
  8. westonpf

westonpf New Member

In fetch mode the iPod seems to be on the go all the time. I have it set to pick up new messages every 15 minutes and it beeps regularly through the night.

Not sure if it wakes up every 15 minutes to check or whether it just stays connected. I will have to try with a mail2web account on push.
  9. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So does anyone have any idea if there is a plist that controls when the wifi turns off after sleep mode?
  10. shuft95

shuft95 Member

thats what iphones are for!