Push email not very pushy at all

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KalleKanin, Nov 6, 2008.

1. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I was looking forward to this push email thing but am I right in assuming that it cannot be done with a regular old pop email account from my email host without first downloading all the mail to my stationary computer which needs to be on and then forwarding it out again using some expensive commercial software package?

I have a Mac running OS 10.4.11 and I use Entourage as an email client. I have read the MobileMe tutorial without understanding much of it. Apparently MobileMe is only available for OS 10.5 anyway.

All I want is to have the iPod dock icon say if there is a new email or not without constantly running fetch and without waiting 15 minutes. No calender sync or contact update or whatnot. Just a red dot for email.

Is this possible?
  2. lukage

lukage New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have mobile me and I have a PC it is push email but it doesn't push straight away! It takes around 30 mins till it notifies me so you are better off with a normal pop email account as then it only takes 15 mins
  3. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK

OK, fair enough. In that case I'll stick with the old way of doing it. I guess the entire push thing was a bit hyped as it seems to be only relevant for experienced hackers.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyway, thanks for answering! I remember that on the 1.1.x firmware there was a hack for jailbroken iPods that would let you change the fetch time to something lower by editing a text file. Maybe that is still possible, although it would lead to even lower battery life I suppose.
  4. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    does it really take 30 minutes to push? I remember a guy demoed it when they released 2.0. It took like 10 seconds to get to his iPhone after he sent an email from his mac.