Purplera1n backup for later downgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blank6, May 1, 2010.

1. Blank6

Blank6 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey guys,
    I read on the forum the thread about saving your SHSH blobs locally so you will be able to downgrade later.
    On that thread there was also a link to this tutorial:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207134
    I followed this tutorial as well but it seems like in
    www.purplera1n.com
    the textbox that is supposed to create you some kind of file doesn't exists.

Most people on the web said it's really good hidden and even took a screenshot to point out where it is, but it seems like it's not there any more.

I really don't understand in all of this, I was just planning on saving all neccesary files before upgrading.
    Is this thing even neccesary?
  2. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That's an old tutorial. You use that to find your ECID, then use a different tutorial to back it up. Follow those steps until you get to purplera1n, I'll find the right tut for you.

EDIT: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282684

EDIT II: Haha, this is what I get for skimming. You already had that tutorial, didn't you?

Please Register or Log in to view images

But, yeah. Follow that until it mentions purplera1n.
  3. Blank6

Blank6 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hehe yes^^
    I reached there, I will wait for your reply
    Thanks![:
  4. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Trimmed it for simplicity:

1. Connect it to a PC

2. Put your iPhone in recovery mode
    2a: To do this, hold the Sleep and home button until the device turns off, then turns back on again with the Apple logo. Once the Apple logo appears, continue to hold home until it shows the iTunes logo with the USB cable.

3. Download the USBView (now called UVCView) HERE: http://outgoing.ifans.com/?d=ZnRwOi...kaWNoaXAvVXRpbGl0aWVzL1VWQ1ZpZXcueDg2LmV4ZQ~~ (if running 64 bit, find the 64 bit version, I can't find it).

4. Open UVCView.exe and look for "Apple Recovery (iBoot) USB Driver" in the left window under "My Computer"

5: In the right window, look for "iSerialNumber". Under that, it should say "CPID", a bunch of other things, then "ECID". The ECID should look something like this: 000000CFCA016DF5

After that, go to http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282684 and follow the instructions. Every time it asks for ECID, type in what you found in the first tutorial. If you still need help, just reply here.
  5. Blank6

Blank6 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh ok just skip the purplera1n.com part, (Edit: just now I realized that's what you said in the first post^^ my bad)

Great so I tryed opening umbrella (64 version), I entered my 16-digit ECID, entered the device I currently have - iPod Touch 3g - 3.1.2
    and I chose Apple.

I get:
    "Could not get your ECID SHSH for that model/version: sorry."

Did I do something wrong? (I pretty much randomly chose Apple, maybe that is the problem)
  6. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, as far as I know, the information under your name is a joke (fairly certain that 3g 16 GB doesn't exist.

) So depending on what your iPod/iPhone is, you may have done all you can.

1G: Sorry, I know nothing.
    2G: Not necessary, will always be jb'd.
    2G with updated bootrom (aka 3G 8GB): Select iPod Touch 2g - 3.1.2
    3G (32GB, 64GB): Apple has stopped signing 3.1.2 for these devices, so unless you backed them up in Cydia, not much can be done.
  7. Blank6

Blank6 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol I don't even remember choosing what ipod I got,
    it's a 3G 32GB.

I understand, so if I upgrade now there is no downgrading later?
    If yes, when Spirit comes out you think I should upgrade or stay with 3.1.2?

BTW Thanks alot for the help[:
  8. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Correct, updating now would prevent downgrades in the future. When Spirit comes out, I would recommend staying on 3.1.2 (3.1.3 kills jailbreak and fixes a battery display problem on iPhone 3GS, there's really no point in upgrading). Really, SHSH blobs are there in case of emergency (accidental upgrade, restore, etc.). As long as you don't mess around with too many system files, you should be good.

9. Blank6

Blank6 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok then I will just keep my 3.1.2^^

Thanks for the help!