[PUBLIC BETA] iBackup! For pc only, Backup your apps and restore them.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ipodtouchmaster05, Apr 16, 2008.

?

What icon should iBackup have?

1. The icon already given.

45 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. A new icon, please post idea or post icon.

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. ipodtouchmaster05

ipodtouchmaster05 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    [2nd PUBLIC BETA] iBackup! For pc only, Backup your apps and restore them.

Currently in Public Beta:

Please Register or Log in to view images

iBackup
    What exactly does this app do?
    This utility automatically backs up your applications, application data, and your photos. Then, when you need to restore your iPod because you really want to use the latest Jailbreak, or WinPwn, you can load up iBackup, and restore all of your apps again. I got this idea from the DavTeam, (thanks guys!) and I have been testing this and have had beta testers and it works great but there can be bugs that we didn't find. So please post if you have any trouble and ill work with you to fix it, also post if it works! The application is only for firmware 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 iPod touches/iPhones for PC. To use the application download it onto your PC, run the iBackup.msi, install it, and you can either run the program from your desktop, or through your Start Menu. Then when you run it you will see several buttons on the top, click the Backup button to backup your applications, application data and photos. Please read and follow the instructions. Then whenever you want to put all those applications and stuff back onto your ipod click the Restore button and follow the instructions.

***Please remember****
    This program is still in its beta stages, however it is stable enough to be released to the public.

CREDITS:
    iPodtouchmaster05 -- for the script and application code
    Byron_B -- for his icon
    jchaike -- for his GUI

When you download:
    Once you download this application, you are taking on the responsibility of using this application to help improve it so we can get every issue addressed before the final release of iBackup.

Update 1:
    After a few more bugs worked out, I got contacted about helping make a GUI for it. So thats what we are working on now, it will be really nice. It will be very good with the GUI but I can't release for a little while so I have time to test GUI and I will probably have a beta for that before I release the next version, A big upgrade 1.0 GUI=Graphic User Interface

Update 2:
    I am having a private beta testings right now, and here is a time line on the application, (This is NOT an official time line, it is if there are no big bugs/problems in betas):
    Saturday Night 4/19 - Public Beta testings [currently on time]
    Monday/Tuesday 4/21or22 - Official Release!

Update 3:
    Public Beta will be released Saturday 4/19 at 11:59 EST
    Here is a screenshot from the latest Public Beta:

Update 4:
    PUBLIC BETA RELEASE!
    Version 1.5.12

Update 5:
    -Public Beta
    -Minor bug fixes
    SECOND BETA OUT SOON SO WAIT FOR THAT
    Version 1.5.13

EDIT: Also I have had some issues with this application for a few reasons. I have to say that you MUST read the instructions in the backup and restore part of the application and follow them. Also this Application backs up your /Applications folder, /var/root folder and /var/mobile (except the iTunes_control) folder. So for some applications (for example summerboard and customize) when they are installed mess with some other folders besides these 3. So thats why you have to uninstall summerboard and customize before backing up your applications. There may be other applications that do this as well but these are the only 2 applications that I am aware of. So if there are any more I will add them to the list. Thanks

Update 6 [Posted 4/29/08]: Ok HUGE second beta coming out! Im not giving much away but it has a TON of improvements, almost ready for release!!! I finally fixed the mail.app bug I ahve been working on the last 1.5 weeks, and fixed all other known bugs so its time for some new ones! (lol) hopefully not, but expect the new beta within the next day!!​

Update 7:
    iPodtouchmaster05 and jchaike are finally (after a few hard working weeks) ready to release our 2nd Public Beta of iBackup (vesrsion 1.8.19). This latest version includes many MANY new features. Some things are Auto update feature, misc tools, and Output console. Please remember that this is still in BETA testing, and may have bugs. Please feel free to post bug reports and suggestions. So included is a couple new screenshots below and here is the download link(s):
    Also if you have symlinked your /var/mobile folder to your /var/root folder (or any of the subfolders in those) then after you put back your applications on your ipod please re-symlink those folder(s) to get what was in them to work correctly.
    VERY IMPORTANT TO PLEASE READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU USE THE APPLICATION!!
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

Update 8:
    More bug fixes.
    Mirror 1

Mirror 2

If you get "run time error '75': path/file access error" when trying to open the application, then right click the application and choose run as administrator.

If after you put back your applications after backing them up, and some do not work. Then please go into installer and uninstall them then install them again. Some apps don't work because they need different permissions (ie. root or mobile) and all your applications are put back as root and I can not set every single ap taht needs mobile to that. So if when you restore your applications and you open one and it crashes, then please uninstall it then reinstall it. (ps. MOST applications work without having to do this, but for some you might ahve to !) thanks​

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    6 people like this.
  2. eng

eng New Member

Device:
    iPad
    darn, i knew i should have moved to 1.1.3/1.1.4, oh well, great idea

3. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Very nice new app! maybe make a gui? o yeah and an option to uninstall apps (delete their folders), that may fix any problem too.

Very good idea, really nice you thought of this (lol

txs for credit

)

good luck for further relleases!
  4. F1N4L

F1N4L New Member

very very nice idea =)
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well I was beta testing last night, but I told you about that unexpected incident, and I was forced to leave...
    Anyways, just to warn you guys, after backing up, I think you will have to resync, since it deletes/moves your songs (at least for me it did). I was able to find the songs in MobileFinder, but was unable to open/play then successfully.

Anyways, I just restored to see how it works.

6. ipodtouchmaster05

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I fixed that bug

thats why it was a beta. after you back up, all ur media is fine.
  7. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    k. i was unaware that you released.
  8. Winterboard

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    its over SSH right? isnt it faster to remove media and sync over USB and itunes again?

just asking

p.s. check private message
  9. ipodtouchmaster05

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yes this is over ssh, and the whole media folder isnt backed up. everything inside the media folder is backed up except iTunes_Control which is where the movies/music are. So depending on how many apps you have to back up it shouldnt take too long.
    2 people like this.
  10. Winterboard

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    2 people like this.