PSP2 Rumored To Be More Powerful Then The Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Oct 28, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

The PlayStation Portable 2 has been long rumored ever since the PSP came to the world back in 2005, what will Sony do next? How powerful will the console be? These are many of the questions people ask themselves when they think of the sequel to the handheld that has sold 60.6 Million worldwide to this date. That’s 30.9% of the hardware sales this generation.

Well the PSP2 has been rumored to have dual analog sticks, nice the original PSP should have had this from the beginning. Among other rumors are a bigger screen and touch controls, but get this, it’s considered to have hardware that to rival the Xbox 360 in processing power and ditch the UMD format all together.

Bye Bye UMD, you wont be missed. ​

Earlier this week multiple sources detailed meetings with Sony during the Tokyo Game Show about the long-rumored PSP2 handheld.

These meetings about the long awaited portable, among other things, was Sony showing off the handheld. The device was shown to have a touch panel on the back of the system, similar to that of a mouse trackpad. Too bad it isn't a Magic Trackpad huh? Ahem...

The PSP2 also had dual analog sticks and a larger display which Sony touted as being "HD." Of course I believe that it is not your conventional HD, but just a Retina esque styled screen. In other words, it’s just REALLY high quality. A HD screen on a portable is just not feasible and would be a waste.

The PSP2 was shown in two very different form factors. One being a slide-out design just likes the PSP Go and the PlayStation Phone that was revealed not too long ago. The other form factor is just like the PSP of today; Sony also announced to its attendees that they have not yet settled on the final design for the system as it is in prototype stages.

Since all of the breaking news that came earlier this week, including the PlayStation Phone, a few more details have shaken loose about the device, which many sources have verified.

One of the new news that has hit websites today is that the PSP2 will in fact NOT helm the UMD drive on the current PSP (excluding the PSP Go). The UMD (Universal Media Disc) was launched back in 2004 for use in the PSP. Initially, the format was used for movies, but slow sales of UMD films lead to studios dropping support for the format. This does NOT mean the PSP2 will be downloadable content only, as Sony's very own Kazuo Hirai has said the PS4 will not be solely Downloadable only. Okay, that was the PS4, but this defiantly
    Shows that Sony are not looking at Downloadable consoles only. Then again, the PSP Go was based around downloadable content, and is seen as a testing ground for future PSP's, so who knows.

Games will be stored on a Memory Stick, according to one source. Though we've also been told that Sony is still puzzling out what the final non-UMD storage solution will be for the PSP2.

Sources have also stated that the upcoming PSP2 will be a much more powerful gaming device and will contain twice the RAM of the Xbox 360.

As powerful as a 360 you say? This should be fun​

While we don't yet know all of the portable's system specifications, we have been told that the PSP2 will feature 1 GB of RAM. That's a massive amount of RAM compared to the lousy 64 MB of RAM the PSP Go and PSP 3000 have inside of them. Both the PSP Go and the PSP 300 contain a MIPS R4000 CPU that is clocked at 333 MHz By comparison the Xbox 360 has 512 MB of RAM and runs a Tri-Core Xenon 3.2 GHZ CPU.

The specs for the yet-to-be-released Nintendo 3DS haven't been officially detailed but we've heard it will be as powerful as the Nintendo Wii which features 64 MB of RAM, and a special processor clocked at 729 MHz

It's starting to sound like someone at Sony is listening to the murmuring about the PlayStation Portable and doing something to fix the issues some have with it. Dual analog sticks, No UMD. A bigger screen, more powerful tech. Touch controls.

Of course with everything tech related, take it with a grain of salt. If we remember correctly, I also made a thread that the 3DS will be as powerful as a 360 as-well. But I will be keeping an eye on this device, so take form it what you will, and no flaming please

2. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ur really into PS news ;D
  3. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Haha, I sure am

I just love console, and I know many others do too, so I might as well inform people ;P
  4. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Interesting...

But that just seems to unrealistic to me. if it was possible to make the Xbox more powerfull and alot smaller (PSP2), then it probably would be as big as it is now.

Btw. do you have a source for this?
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    He never throws up sources, which annoys me.

6. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Well it won't be faster then the PS3 Silm!
  7. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I hope they don't choose the slider design as the final design, that would certainly throw me off buying it.

Either way, can't wait to see a decent PSP remake, not the 3000 rubbish.
  8. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    i kinda hate that they are dumping umd's. i still have some umd's laying around and if i wanted to play them i'd have to pay for them all over again

9. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Not surprising! With ARM's new dual and quad core CPUs and PowerVR's multi-core (actual cores not stream processors) GPUs for mobile devices on the way, the PSP2 should easily surpass the XBOX 360. The SGX 543 graphics chip in it's quad core and octocore forms outperform many nVidia PC GPUs today.

My only concern would be battery life with all of this power. They probably want to stick with a slim form factor, so battery life might suck unless they have some epic breakthrough.
  10. ms3029

ms3029 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    is that 360 slim statistics or the crappy arcade version????