PS3 will not display 1080p?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by jimbeam, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI to my LCD which is capable of 1080p, but, the PS3 will not display 1080p for some reason. It displays 1080i on the main menu screen and switches to 720 when I play games. When I set it manually to 1080p the picture looks a little distorted.

Could it be the cable? If so, anyone have any suggestions on a good one? Also looking for a good optical audio cable.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Probably the cable as there's a couple of different HDMI cable types, though I'd wait for more responses before buying a new one as I'm not 100% sure that's defo your problem.
  3. guitarplayer16

guitarplayer16 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'm suggesting that it is just your TV.
    What model is your TV?

HDMI cables don't have anything to do with it.
    They are digital. The signal goes through or it doesn't.
    Your signal goes through still so HDMI is not your problem.

It's not the PS3 either.
    If you set it to display 1080p and it actually showed picture, then it worked.
    If your TV didn't support 1080p then the PS3 would have showed nothing.

Lastly, not all games support 1080p.
    Infact, very little support 1080p.
    So make sure the game you're playing supports 1080p.

What you could do, is hook your PS3 up to another TV using the same HDMI cable, and see how it works.
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Okay, I've done a little research and so far everything is pointing to the cable. The HDMI cable does make a difference as they do support different specs. HDMI 1.2 and/or 1.3. The PS3 supports HDMI 1.3 and I'm pretty sure my TV does also (May have to search a little more on that since I can't find anything in the papers it came with to verify). But that doesn't matter as much because 1.3 is backward compatible. From what I've read so far it looks like the cable is the problem. Manufacturers could under the 1.2 compliance test specification say that that 1.2 cable supports 1080p when actually it could NOT support the bandwidth required for 1080p. So if you bought a one off cheap HDMI 1.2 cable (As did I) It's probably not going to work as it should. With HDMI Specification 1.3 it's harder for manufacturers to lie about what that cable can really handle. Of course they could have also lied about what my TV can handle just the same if its HDMI 1.2, but, I'll try the cord first before I buy a new TV. Another thing under 1.2 beside cheating the test, you could also just slap a 1.2 compliant sticker on the package and call it a day do to sh*tty HDMI Licensing documentation for 1.2.

Another fun fact I found is a lot of PS3 games actually do support 1080p. They just default to a lower resolution if given the chance for some reason. You just have to go to settings and disable all but 1080p so it can not go to the default setting. It sucks because you still have to change it back when playing a game that really doesn't support it. GTA IV for example defaults to 720p when it is capable of 1080p.
  5. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

WALLOFTEXT
    Just buy a sh*tty, cheap HDMI 1.3 cable? That's what I did. It was less than 5 dollars and it displays 1080p just as well as any HDMI cable.

And yeah, the 360 is similar. Most console games can't natively run at 1080p. The 360 just takes the games native resolution and stretches it to fit the resolution (think of it like stretching a JPEG), which is way some games (Halo 3, for example, JAGGIES EVERYWHERE) look bad in 1080p. I think it's also a factor that graphics comparisons leave out - the console versions of MW2 look like the PC version in graphics comparison, until you actually try to play them in 1080p.
  6. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I am nerdy.
    I play tons of videogames.
    And no, the PS3 does not like to default to lower.
    Its likes to default to highest possible.
    It just thinks since your cable is bad, which it apparently is, that it should default to 720.
  7. guitarplayer16

guitarplayer16 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'm certain it's the TV.
    I know many people that ask about why their TV won't display 1080p.
    You see, many brands are starting to ship out TVs that upscales and displays natively at 1080p but unfortunately, they don't accept 1080p signals. The max signal they accept are 1080i.

For example:
    40" 1080p Flat Panel LCD TV

At the bottom of the page it says:
    * Accepts 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i signals and displays at 1080p

It's unfortunate that companies are doing this.
    They know that consumers are wound up by the "1080p".
    By using that "buzzword", they know people are going to buy their TV set because they are offering it at a cheaper price than true 1080p sets.

I would advise against buying a HDMI cable.
    So many have tried to use a new cable and poor them, same problem exists.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Turns out it is the TV. Just as you said. I couldn't find anything in the documents that came with the TV other than it say it supports 1080p, but after looking it up online it turns out it upscale to 1080p. I was planning on getting a bigger one anyway. It still sucks that manufactures can get away with just slapping 1080p on a box

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'll be sure to research the TV better this time.

Thinking about getting this Sony. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony - ...HDTV/9244891.p?id=1218066284361&skuId=9244891
  9. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Pretty good deal ^
  10. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    And that, my friends, is why you buy Sony.