PS3 or 360?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by iTouch#1fan, Oct 5, 2008.

1. iTouch#1fan

iTouch#1fan New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I want to get a console since i haven't owned one for well over a year. I had a ps2, xbox and gamecube, but decided to get rid of them. Now I want to know which should I get, a ps3 or a 360? The 360 is like £100 cheaper, but online play is free on the ps3. What are your opinions on the matter?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Overdoze

Overdoze New Member

Personally i do not like the ps3, i think the 360 is great although you have to pay for xbox live, its much better than ps3 online
  3. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

PS3

/thread.
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Xbox 360.
    Better online play and the achievements are ftw

5. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It comes down to this: These are gaming consoles. Ignore everything else, and choose the console which has more games that appeal to you. Aside from games, I'll try and nail the pros and cons:

Xbox 360

+ Much cheaper
    + Larger catalogue of games
    + More than twice as many games rated an average of 90%+
    + More games in development
    + Better online model with many more players
    + Biggest online HD movie/TV show library (with Netflix support)
    - Early models are prone to the RRoD (free 3 year warranty)
    - Online play costs money

Playstation 3

+ Blu-Ray Player
    + Free online play
    + Web browsing
    + More reliable hardware
    - Expensive
    - Smaller library of games and a shrinking exclusive list
    - Online system repeatedly trying to watch up to Xbox Live

In conclusion, I'd say that the Playstation 3 is definitely a better media machine. If you want to watch Blu-Ray movies, browse the web and game. That comes at a price. The Xbox 360 is without a doubt the better gaming machine. Obviously if you have a huge game preference (for example if Metal Gear Solid is your favourite franchise ever) then you're going to have a natural instinct of which console you want. But for sheer numbers, both in size of library and quality of the games, the 360 has an undeniable advantage.

Also if online play is important to you, you'll find a higher number of online games with more people playing on Xbox Live. Am I biased? Well of course. I love my 360 (I'm still purchasing a PS3 for Little Big Planet), and everybody is going to have a bias. But I'm trying to be a little bit more helpful than "PS3 FTW".

Also, I see you're in the UK. With the recent price cut, that makes the PS3 almost twice the price as the 360. Xbox 360 Premium = £159.99. Playstation 3 = £299.99. if you're planning on getting one relatively soon, Sainsburys have an Xbox 360 sale on until October 12th. The Premium 60GB 360 is £139.99!
  6. iTouch#1fan

iTouch#1fan New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    @InaudibleWhisper - Thanks for the detailed answer.
    I really wanted to get a ps3 to for mgs4, but then i played it a mate's house, and was slightly disappointed. So the 360 is definitely the best all round console? What games would you recommend? Besides, pes, fifa09 and cod4 lol

7. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    360 is the way to go amd cod 4 is amazing
  8. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Before you make your decision, I would like to say that in my opinion, PS3 has a larger variety of games. For example, 360 is mostly "hardcore" first person shooters, while PS3 has games like LittleBigPlanet. In my opinion, PS3 sort of "bridges the gap" between Wii's casual games, and 360's shooters.

However, if I were you, I'd make the decision myself, based on what I like to play, and how much money I'm willing to shell out.
  9. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For every Little Big Planet on the PS3 there is a Viva Pinata or Banjo Kazooie on the 360. I see nothing that indicates more variety on the PS3. Though Little Big Planet does look insanely awesome

Anyway, yeah iTouch#1fan I really do thing the 360 is the better gaming console. As for game recommendations, it depends what kind of games you like! The top first person shooters are obviously Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 plus there's BioShock, The Orange Box, Rainbow 6: Vegas and Unreal Tournament 3. Gears of War is a brilliant third person shooter. Ninja Gaiden 2 and Devil May Cry 4 are great third person titles too. Grand Theft Auto IV is obviously superb. If you like racing games there is Project Gotham Racing, Forza, Burnout Paradise etc. Fighting games you've got Dead or Alive 4, SoulCalibur 4 and Virtua Fighter 5. There are a ton of RPG's, both western and JRPG's. Mass Effect is brilliant as is Oblivion. Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are decent JRPG's already released. Plus other great games such as Crackdown, Dead Rising and the aforementioned Viva Pinata and all the music games such as Rock Band 1 and 2 and the Guitar Hero series. Plus all the sports games and XBLA games.

Coming out in the next 3 months you've got Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Mirrors Edge, Far Cry 2, Dead Space, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, exclusive GTAIV content, Street Fighter IV, Guitar Hero: World Tour and more.
  10. Led

Led Banned

Wow. Inaudible is alway so formal and unbiased.