proxy with authentication

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shriramrs31, Nov 26, 2008.

1. shriramrs31

shriramrs31 New Member

firmware - latest 2.2

I have a proxy with authentication at work. I configured it and i am able to browse with safari, see/buy/upgrade from appstore.

But other applications doesn't seem to have internet -> weather, stocks, google earth, my web radio applications,wikiamo, etc..... also I am able to browse iTunes, but not able to see podcasts as nothing is getting downloaded.

Everything works at my home, where there is no proxy.

Does anybody have similar problems or sucessfully configured a proxy for internet with all applications ????
  2. JAD

JAD New Member

It'll be your firewall stopping the other applications. You'll have to get it allowed through by your work admin.
  3. shriramrs31

shriramrs31 New Member

well, google earth, and some other onliney radio's work from my work computer. I clarified with my admin and it is not blocked by firewall. It seems like safari and appstore uses system wide proxy settings, whereas the other apps does something else. I have really stuck a dead end here ain't I !?!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. JAD

JAD New Member

I bet it is firewalled. You're only being allowed out via port 8080 and 80 through your proxy which is why applications that use that port are able to get through. Ask your admin to either set up a static IP for you for your iPod and allow that IP through the hardware/software firewall or else ask him to do the same via its MAC address instead. I set my work server up the same way for the same reason and before I did I had the same results as you.

Edit: whether he or she will do it for you is another question. It will be bypassing your workplace security and the logging of web pages your server is going to and so on.

5. shriramrs31

shriramrs31 New Member

Thanks a lot for your info. I will check with my admin reg. this. But, just some info i found in internet. Google earth uses port 80 and it also does not work. Also i think wikiamo, facebook uses the normal port and they dont work either. Really weirdddddddd
  6. JAD

JAD New Member

I never tried google earth before I changed the firewall so I couldn't say. If I get a chance today (if time allows) I'll turn the firewall back on and see what happens.
  7. shriramrs31

shriramrs31 New Member

No other replies !?!

Does anybody else have the same problem ? safari, appstore works perfect. but no other application works with a proxy requiring authentication. Tried all possible things and no blocked things by firewall.

I guess people using proxy with authentication are really less in number

8. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    same here..... How can we make other apps use port 80??
  9. shriramrs31

shriramrs31 New Member

I dont think the port usage is the problem, bcos google earth, wikipedia applications, facebook uses the same port but dont work behing proxy with authentication. I think the other applications dont make use of the proxy environment variable effectively or the proxy settings are not in the right place for these applications to find it.

Any possibility to do something via SSH ? i have never tried untill now, as my experience with an ipod is just under 2 months. but this christmas hols, i will be trying something in this direction.
  10. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    you can't SSH into a 2g iPod touch...