Pros and Cons to moving iTunes Library to external HD?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by dlstc, Jul 17, 2009.

1. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I recently purchased a 1TB Western Digital External HD USB 2.0. I bought it to free up some space on my laptop's HD from all the DVD's I'd ripped and converted for my iPod and my kids' MixMax players.

Anyways, as my iTunes library is growing and my laptop is aging, I thought it might be wise to move my library to the external HD. I know how to perform the operation (Edit>Preferences>Change (library location) and check copy library), but the question is, is it wise?

Of course either drive could fail at any time. My laptop is a Dell XPS 1330. It has 53 GB of 136 GB free on C:, and 6.35 GB of 9.99 GB on it's recovery partition, D:. It's a few years old, and I'm a bit concerned that I work it pretty hard with my video encoding and CD/DVD ripping.

What might be some foreseeable pros and cons? Opinions?

TIA
  2. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i dont really see a con in backing up your media library, im just waiting so i can have enough time to copy everything over. if your laptop HD dies on you, then everything is lost. besides, you can backup way more than media on the 1TB
  3. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, back it all up on there.
    It would be great on freeing up space. Plus it isn't a wi-fi connected HD.
    So no one would be able to access it other than via USB.
  4. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Excuse me guys for bumping this post, but I would like to do this exact procedure, but I didn't understand the : (Edit>Preferences>Change (library location) and check copy library).

Would anyone please explain it to me?

I'm currently copying my iTunes folder from my My Music folder to my External HD (only 240 min. left.....).
  5. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He means you would go to Edit then Preferences, then Advanced and click on Change... via iTunes.

Oh and there is a con to using an external HDD to store your media. When you are syncing with your iPod/iPhone it will take longer because you are having to take it off the external HDD instead straight off of the internal HDD.
  6. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Manually copy files to External HDD.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)