Properly Bricked!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lawick, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Lawick

Lawick New Member

OK a few days ago I installed Wikipanion on my ipod touch (2.0.1) and soon after my ipod turned off and following that, wouldn't go past the apple icon. I tried forcing restore, the ipod several times and it would turn off but still be at the apple icon when I turned back on. Now it doesn't turn off until the battery runs down and just stays at the apple icon.

Up until a while ago, the ipod was making the noise like when it starts up but the screen remained the same, Itunes would load but then freeze and not show the ipod (I have had an ongoing situation with Ipod saying it is not responding every time I close it down).

So I can't restore, or put into DFU mode. I have tried running T-pot through total commander and did manage to access the ipod but didn't see what I expected to see (I have viewed my ipod files previously when it was jailbreaked 1.1.2 in the past). I tried to access any files related to applications but every time, I came up with an error message. I tried running Ziphone, and Iphonebrowser. Both cannot locate the ipod.

Now when I plug the ipod into my laptop, windows says that a USB device has malfunctioned, it shows the device but no info and doesn't make the connecting/disconnecting alert any more.

Aaaarghh, sorry for the long post but there was a lot to explain. Any ideas very much welcome anyone!!

Lawick
  2. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Throw it on the ground, then pick it up, attempt to snap it, then try. Worked for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    force restore?
  4. Lawick

Lawick New Member

If you mean, pressing and holding home & power button, it does nothing.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    any time I have had a problem with my ipod I have always managed to sort it but can't help thinking that this one may be unfixable!
  5. markomite

markomite New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    try holding the home button for a few seconds, and then plugging it in. or take it to an apple store, if you don't have a custom boot screen. then they wont be able to tell that you jbed it.
  6. Lawick

Lawick New Member

Not happening

OK, so I have tried everything. The trouble is, everyone's methods seem to include turning the Ipod OFF, which I cannot do, even holding power & home button. The only way it will turn off is when the battery drains. I have tried holding the home button whilst plugging it into the computer, in various different ways but no luck. The trouble is, ITunes freezes every time I plug the ipod in if it does get recognised at all.

Even more irritating is the fact that when I unplug the ipod, the Itunes screen unlocks itself and you can clearly see the restore screen...aarg! The restore screen is totally frozen until the ipod is no longer recognised so I have no way of changing any settings in there to try and make a difference (e.g. sync settings). Please help, I have been without my Ipod touch for ages now and the nearest apple store is a trek and a half!!

Lawick
  7. PanicZone

PanicZone New Member

Agh... This seems a problem. Call apple up. Just say that happened after you installed an app. Dont say anything about jailbreak. Maybe they will send you a new one. Other than that the only other option is the apple store.
  8. Harry Paratestes

Harry Paratestes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had the same type of problem

I had the same problem or at least similar. My ipod would not shut off. just kept starting up to the boot screen. I tried dozens of times to get it into DFU mode and finaly, with the volume turned up on my pc i heard the connect noise and still had a black screen. I got lucky after about 50 tries, I then restored to an original firmware (2.0) and it did restore but still would not power off. Sent it to apple and they said it was a hardware problem sent me a new refurbished on and it did the same thing as the last one. It would not shut off. So I finaly took it back to Costco and demanded a new ipod because their Concierge service did nothing for me. Long and short I got a new ipod and life is good again.
  9. fullback

fullback New Member

hmm... i don't know how long you're stuch on the apple icon for, but try after a restart, just leave it on the apple icon? maybe its still loading. I know when i turn on my ipod, it takes at least a minute for it to load everything.
  10. Mythul

Mythul New Member

did u have SSH installed?If yes u may have some luck.SSH is on for me even if i am at the boot logo, just navigate to the applications folder and delete the wiki app. Hope it works