Proof that Apple can easily sync the iPod Touch over Wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by soad112589, Jul 13, 2008.

1. soad112589

soad112589 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you have the 2.0 firmware and install the remote app, you'll see your iPod under the devices section. This means that iTunes can recognize the iPod through wifi. It would take a little work to enable syncing but it can be done like the Zune.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    And the use of Syncing over Wifi is....?

Considering that it is Tons slower and more Unsecured than USB.. I don't know why you'd want to sync over Wifi.
  3. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Syncing over wi-fi has always worked, I use Amarok in Linux to sync my music wirelessly.
  4. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    if ur away or will be home late or something
  5. Snowrunner

Snowrunner New Member

Well, security is sort of secondary. But it could make sense, you come home, you drop the iPod and your cellphone to charge by the door. With Smart Playlists set up it could easily sync itself with your library and you pick it up the next morning as you leave the house.
  6. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

That would sound nice in a fantasy land of batteries that live forever. However my ipod needs to be charged frequently.
  7. soad112589

soad112589 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've done it in linux but it made my album art disappear. I'm not sure if its something I did or if its a bug. I didn't try it again to make sure, but I was talking about using it with iTunes, not Amarok, Rhythmbox, or any other linux program.
  8. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

If you want to put music on and have a full battery, you dont wanna plug it in when its like 60% battery >_>

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. soad112589

soad112589 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It would be secure if you have some type of encryption on your wireless, and it wouldn't be much harder on the battery than watching a streaming video cause the video is using wifi and writing information to the iPod.
  10. Blink

Blink New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's automatic and it wouldn't be too much slower. I'm guessing it would be just as fast, if not faster, as downloading a song from iTunes. In fact it should be faster, considering it's a local connection. If you're behind a secure WiFi connection, security shouldn't matter.

I'd love to see this. I'm not a huge fan of having to sync my iPod and wait for it to check my bookmarks, contacts, apps, etc. when I just downloaded one song that I really want to listen to on my iPod. (This is assuming it would only push new content to the iPod instead of completely syncing)

I'd take it even if it wasn't automatic. If you only had to click on your device and hit sync I'd still love it.