Project Natal retail unit revealed at D8

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Jun 2, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Microsoft didn't provide any new details of its Xbox Project Natal control system at the D8 conference, beyond showing its latest hardware publicly.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher and her enthusiastic son, Louie,tried the ricochet game that Microsoft's been using to demonstrate the system. At the end, Mossberg also triggered a feature that displays shareable Polaroid-type snapshots taken of players as they play.

Molly O'Donnell from the Xbox team first gave a technical demo, showing how the system tracks users' skeletons.

She declined to provide the products' final name or other details ahead of product's launch at the E3 game conference in two weeks, saying that's when "the future of fun" will be revealed.

"The future of fun? Because that's what we think of when we think of Microsoft," Mossberg cracked.

The big surprise was that the chief executives and others attending the show - from Steve Jobs to Martha Stewart - will all be sent a free Project Natal controller when it goes on sale later this year.

"There's nothing rich people like better than free stuff," Mossberg said.

A video of the technical demo:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid73315185001?bctid=89553462001
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid73315185001?bctid=89556597001
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I hope it comes in black. My entire entertainment system is black, from the TV to the stand and every piece of hardware attached.
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Because even Mr. Jobs has an Xbox 360.
  4. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It better be better than the Wii's tracking system.
  5. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Looks mighty sexy in white.
  6. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm almost certain that it will. I think they're well aware that white will clash with a lot of peoples set-up's as well as the 360 elite. The initial unveil was a black sensor bar too.
  7. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This looks like one of those things that could be glitch ridden and inspire depression or something I can pwn n00bs with in COD with ninja skillz.
  8. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I see them bringing it out in just white, the last thing Microsoft want to do is confuse consumers with even more SKUS, I believe after E3, The Xbox division wont be the same, some how, i believe it will be more controlled.

Maybe a 'special back edition' later on,or maybe they will bring it out later to keep it 'fresh' just like how they brought out a black wireless adapter after a couple of years and how they released the Elite package.

Microsoft never put all their eggs into one basket, like Nintendo with their DS line up. They always bring out a simple color and then bring out more colors.

who knows,all we know is it WILL definitely be white.
  9. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, but in this case it's a peripheral designed to accompany a console, many of which are black. There is no way, in my opinion, that they'd make it white-only. It benefits them in no way and will just piss a lot of people off. Black is going to match better with pretty much every TV in existence.

And I think you underestimate the consumer if you think a colour difference is going to confuse them. That's going a bit too far in my opinion, virtually everything is offered in multiple colours now aside from the PS3.
  10. iLucky

iLucky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ya they first showed it in black. ill be getting white tho