Programming the iPod... what language? how? cocoa?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by EyesOfARaven, Nov 21, 2007.

1. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

I have a dualboot OSX Leopard and Vista machine. I'm not terribly familiar with most programming languages, just Python, but I'd like to take a crack at making apps. I know that the iPod has Python, but how do I go about programming non-console apps? There's a TCL library, if I programmed in Python/TCL would it automatically translate into some kind of touch interface based on existing widgets?

If I have to learn a language for making apps that isn't Python I will, and I believe that the "Cocoa" program is the app of choice. Is there a Windows analog? I can go into my Leopard install if I must, but the more familiarity I've got the better

Please Register or Log in to view images

What language is Cocoa for iPod? I'm fairly certain Cocoa is just an IDE, but afaik it also holds the bindings for various devices and OSX "things" so that they can work in your program. That means you must use Cocoa? Or what?
  2. flash84x

flash84x New Member

http://iphonedevdocs.com/

good luck with it, i couldnt get the sdk env installed without errors, though i was trying on leopard and fedora core 6 so maybe its just some things i missed to those specfic setups... i plan to try on my ubuntu 7.10 system here soon
  3. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

Well my OSX system is a hackintosh leopard, so yeah..

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'll try after thanksgiving tho.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The iPone/iPod apps are programmed in Objective-C, and yes, Cocoa is the best possible environment with which to program.