programming on windows

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by ab77, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ab77

ab77 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i have an iPod Touch, and i would like to program on windows xp, but nothing seems to work. i've tried installing the prebuilt toolchain using winchain, but the installer just gives me an error each time telling me to delete cygwin, which i don't have installed.

i've also tried following a guide and installing ubuntu linux in a virtual machine and installing the necessary files to develop applications, but each of the 3 times i've tried it, something went wrong and the virtual machine became unusable. the first two times the display just got really messed up with the image split into a bunch of diagonal lines, like a comb. the second time i installed a vnc server, but when i tried to use it after the display stopped working, the image just came up as a bunch of multicolored shapes and lines. the third time, while installing one of the programs to use the toolchain, the system dropped out to a command line with no prompt, and locked up, then dropped out to busybox after rebooting.

i've also tried running a text-only linux distribution made specifically for running the toolchain, but i can't seem to connect to it via FTP, SCP, or SSH like the guide i read says to, so it effectively makes it useless to me.

i've also tried installing every AMD-supporting hacked version of mac os x that i can find on the internet, but they either kernel panic or just never get past that gray screen with the apple and the spinning line/wheel thing.

i do have a mac, but it only supports running up to os x 10.2.8. i would love nothing more to go out and buy a nice new mac to develop on, but unfortunately, the cheapest mac (mac mini) is 599$ more than i can afford to spend on this project turned obsession.

so basically i'm asking how i can develop ipod touch apps. i noticed that in cydia, under the development section, there are some of the same utilities listed that the one guide i read said to install (such as flex, gcc). could i somehow write the code on my computer, ssh it over to my ipod touch, and have it compile it? i really wish apple would make xcode and the seemingly amazing iphone sdk availible for windows.

thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
  2. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

Go to saurik.com and build the toolchain his way with Cygwin.
  3. brill 301

brill 301 New Member

have you tried vmware?
    you'd have to have a pretty decent computer, or else it will be way to laggy and almost unable to use...
  4. ab77

ab77 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i looked, and i can't seem to find what you're talking about. could you give me a direct link to the page?

yes. vmware was what i used to install ubuntu, and i've tried vmware and ms virtual pc to install mac os x.
  5. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    For the AMD try to use iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6).

I'm running that on my laptop just fine, and I have even updated to 10.5.7.

You just have to make sure you use the Voodoo kernel on boot.

Kernel=Voodoo as the bootflag
  7. flips30240

flips30240 New Member

8. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  9. ab77

ab77 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i tried this with the voodoo kernel, and with the vanilla kernel. with the voodoo kernel, it ignored the verbose flag and sat on the screen with the gray apple. with the vanilla kernel, it would get to a gray screen and bring up a mouse cursor. i tried each way twice, leaving it sit about 15 minutes each time.

although i've tried using the same file as in that video before with no luck, i figured i would give it another shot, went to download the file shown in that video, and i saw one with PPF1 and PPF2 instead of just PPF1, and i downloaded it, and it's around 40% done installing as of the time i'm writing this. i'll update the thread once i see if it boots up or not. this is great. i've never gotten a mac os x installation this far before in a virtual machine, besides mac os x 10.2.8 in pearpc a while ago. i just hope that if it installs correctly, i can upgrade it to leopard to use the iphone sdk.

i installed it, but it doesn't seem to work properly. i tested it out with some of the sample projects from apple's developer page, and it wouldn't build any of them. it kept giving errors about files missing from the project.

and yeah, i could install linux natively, but i've only ever found one linux distribution that actually supports (almost) all of my hardware, and even after installing drivers from the company's web site, it still was unable to do two of the most vital things i use my computer for: surround sound, and wifi/ethernet network bridging. it could connect to both networks, it just couldn't bridge them. windows xp does both of those things flawlessly, but if it really comes down to the point where there's absolutely nothing left to try, i might be able to get ahold of an old computer to install linux on.

by the way:
    thanks again to everyone who has replied so far. sorry if it seems like i jump quickly into shooting down ideas, but that's exactly why i joined this forum to post this thread in the first place: because i tried so many of the things already out there, and figured that someone might know something new to try.
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Then you have to keep trying the Kernel Voodoo flags.

Its changed for me plenty of times.

Its been different ones at different times for me for some reason.

Kernel=Voodoo
    Kernel=Voodoo Kernel

Kernel=Voodoo_Kernel
    Kernel=Voodoo kernel
    Kernel=Voodoo_kernel
    Kernel=voodoo
    Kernel= voodoo kernel

Ones in bold are the ones that work most often.