Processor

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Thao, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just looking for some clarification, as i've seen different answers on here, is the 2G Touch processor more powerful? Has anyone run any tests?
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm also wondering this. I don't think so, if it is, the battery would have to of been boosted to match the old iPod touch's battery life.
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Early guesses thought it was actually a weaker processor.

In any event, it wouldn't matter, as the 1G's processor was drastically underclocked. If a new processor is weaker, but running at full power, it would save Apple money and make people think they're getting something better.
  4. rash219

rash219 New Member

Is there any way one could over clock it....
  5. cainy

cainy New Member

1st gen should be running at about 600mhz but is underclocked to about 400mhz, looks like apple skimped a bit on the 128mb ram thats inside the touch, personally i think it could have done with more
  6. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Even if this is weaker processor it still same old ARM11 architecture also sice it runs at 412MHz (clock change since 1.1.3) they can put any ARM11 CPU with clock higher then 412MHz without any software conflict. Changing clock may unstabilize the system and application that been write to work under 412MHz

Remember that in native platform (for app in AppStore) way to success is stable core specification, changing CPU clock could divide platform in to 2 pieces
  7. wormyalon

wormyalon New Member

tests

I noticed a benchmark application in the appstore known simply as "Benchmark", its 99 cents. I don't know if this app actually produces meaningful data or is just some sort of gimmicky thing but if one of you guys with a 1g wants to dl it, I'd be willing to give it a shot on my 2g and compare results.
  8. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't see any "Benchmark" in AppStore... whats the point of makeking benchmark app on embedded platform?
  9. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

There is only one thing that matters : It's better than my computers CPU lol.
  10. rash219

rash219 New Member

Okay this is getting a little high tech now.......simple question is 2G faster/slower or is it the same ?

Answers have 3 options a) Faster ........ b) Slower ......... c) Its the same!!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    lol .......