problems with wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alfionfire, Dec 16, 2007.

1. alfionfire

alfionfire New Member

im trying to connect to some spot that dont have full connectivity. they range from one bar to two and theres about 5 of them. every time i connect to one the bars on my touch jump to three(how can it have three bars?) but i have no internet access. I cant open web pages, go to you tube, or download apps. it just keeps saying safari cannot find the server. Why is it telling me im connected to internet with full power when im not? any ideas.

thanks in advance.
  2. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Perhaps they'er using a security setting the iPod Touch doesn't understand/recognize - such as MAC filtering. In which case, there's not much you can do. However, some of the "free" wireless hotspots require that you go to a login page (even if it just is a "press here to accept the agreement to use our free wi-fi"). Try opening Safari and going to Google or something... Otherwise, not much you can do...

Have you been able to get Wi-Fi service anywhere? Like at your home? If so, it's almost definitely security settings...
  3. Elahrairah

Elahrairah Member

I am having the same problems.

Ipod touch works at home, laptop works at home....

Went to work with it, laptop works fine. First time I set up the Ipod touch, it asked for the passcode, I typed it in, I get a check mark next to the connection.....yet I cannot do anything, no safari, no google maps app....

Even the guy who set up the router can't figure it out..he said it's not the MAC filtering, because that is turned off. Again, my laptop connected just fine..
  4. Elahrairah

Elahrairah Member

Got It!!!

1.) From the main screen go to Settings, and from Settings go to Wi-Fi.

2.) The Wi-Fi network you are currently connected to will have a blue check next to it, over on the left. For that same WiFi network, tap the blue circle (with ">" inside) to get to more options.

3.) Look at both the Router and DNS IP addresses. If they are the same, you might have a DNS issue, and continue on to step 4. If they are not the same you probably don't have a DNS issue, so only continue on if you have no other options.

4.) Tap inside the DNS field, and the cursor will be positioned at the end. Delete everything there. Enter the following instead:
    208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

5.) Tap Wi-Fi Networks to go back to exit that screen.

6.) Press the Menu button to go back to the main screen and try Safari again.
  5. cody7676

cody7676 New Member

What if the DNS and router are the same but its my home connection and i have no problems?
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That just means that your home router is also handling the DNS capabilities... If you've no problems, I wouldn't worry about it...
  7. Elahrairah

Elahrairah Member

How can a router do that anyway? How does it keep updated?

Networking is voodoo as far as I'm concerned...I'm just glad someone posted a solution step by step I could follow and that it worked.
  8. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was going to type up some long description or something, but Howstuffworks has an article on how domain name servers work. http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm

Basically, if your home router is serving as a DNS server, it functions like other DNS servers. If it doesn't have the IP address (e.g., 255.255.255.255) for the specific domain name (www.cnn.com), it just asks another DNS server until it gets an answer...
  9. Roseroyce

Roseroyce New Member

This helped me with my constant WiFi problems..

Go to:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305715
    If you're trying to connect to Wi-Fi and it looks like you're connected, but when you access a web page, it goes back to EDGE, it may be due to a known issue if wireless router is using MAC Address Filtering and the iPhone's MAC address has not been entered into the filter list. This may also occur if the WEP password was entered incorrectly.

If you experience this and use WEP Password, on the iPhone/iPod Touch tap Settings > Wi-Fi. Then tap More Info ( > ) next to the Wi-Fi network name and tap Forget this Network. Then try accessing the Wi-Fi network again. Alternatively, turn off WEP encryption on the wireless router.

If MAC Address Filtering is enabled on the wireless router, make sure iPhone's Wi-Fi address (in Settings > General > About) is entered into the router's filter.
    Forget this Network. helped me!!

Back online! ya!!