problems with vnc

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by freelancer91, Jan 22, 2008.

1. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok I got the application called vnc that allows me to access my home computer remotely. The problem is that it only works in my house off my wireless network. When I tried accessing it at school it sId it couldn't connect to (home ip address) port 5900. My schools technology director says that my firewall is blocking it. I tried going into mcaffee and allowing all access (at great risk) but Im at a local university right now and I still cant access home computer. What do you advise?
  2. trock0002

trock0002 New Member

is your home pc behind a router??

What OS are you running??
  3. Paintball

Paintball New Member

did you go to ipchicken.com on your home computer and use that ip address in your touch?
  4. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes, my home pc is connected to the Internet through a router. My all the computers in my house are connected either through a wireless connection or through a lan cable (mine is lan). When i am at home i can connect through this network wirelessly (which is what I am doing right now) on my ipod touch and access my pc. As for my os, I am using windows xp home edition sp2. When I went to ipchicken.com, it gave me an address different from the tutorial video gave. The url for the vid is youtube.com/watch?v=ky_HZTetPss

Is it possible that it is not mcafee but the windows firewall? I went in and it said I could add a port. Vnc is already a trusted program on both firewalls. It asked me for a port name and a port number as well as a protocol, either Tcp or udp. I already know what the port number is but where do I find the name and what protocol do I use?

UPDATE: This morning, my brother got my ipod and decided to try to screw around with the program. He subsequently went on to ruin it. Now everytime I try to establish a connection, it crashes the program on my computer. I'm gonna put a passcode on the ipod and then see if I can salvage the thing when I get home from school. This morning after the damage had been done I tried uninstalling it but I couldn't find it on the program list. Then I tried to just install it again without uninstalling it. The program still crashes.
  5. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    (This is an update/bump)

ok I suppose it is worth noting that I am operating behind an NAT router. I tried configuring VNC repeater but when I had it running and I tried to connect to an unsecured neighbor's network, it will said that it couldn't connect through (my rounters ip 192.168.****) port 5900. I tried following some online tutorials but they didn't seem to do the trick. Does the repeater server have to be on a different computer from the VNC server?
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK - two things you need to do:

1) Go into your router and look for something called port forwarding - you want to forward port 5900 to your computers' "internal" IP address (that's the 192.168.#.#)

2) Get your EXTERNAL IP address (go to www.whatismyip.com ) - this is the IP address you're connecting to. If your ISP changes your IP regularly, you'll need to get a dynamic DNS address - look at (I think) www.dyndns.org for more info...
  7. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, I finally found the port fowarding feature on my Westell router. Its a little different than the one that they showed in the tutorial that I mentioned before. A screen shot is attached. What goes where?

Attached Files:

8. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Put 5900 in all of th little boxes for the port numbers, and just put VNC as the name. doesnt matter i dont think. Then that should fix everything. As long as both the programs are on and work.
  9. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I have put those numbers in. What do I do with the external ip address?
  10. toehead

toehead New Member

That is the address that you will try connecting to from school. If all is well, your router will se an incoming connection on that port and forward it to your home pc.