Problems with DFU restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by megaton, Oct 7, 2009.

1. megaton

megaton New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 2g ipod touch that is not responding. After some research on this site I have tried several things and have only made it worse.

I am able to put my ipod into DFU mode. Hold both buttons for 10 seconds, release power and continue to hold home for 8 seconds, screen stays black even when you plug it into cpu and itunes recognizes it. Upon starting the restore process screen goes white for a few seconds and then apple logo is displayed with the "loading ring" below. If this is not DFU then would somebody mind telling me what it should do when in DFU?

I downloaded the 2.2.1 firmware from this site [redacted] , if this is not a good source for firmware please feel free to refer me to the proper source.

I shift-click and pick the firmware file I downloaded from the site. The process begins, and on the ipod the apple logo is displayed with a loading bar. Meanwhile, on itunes it says "waiting for ipod". Back on the ipod, the loading bar fills, this takes roughly 3-4 minutes. However back on the computer it continues to say "waiting for ipod". At some point around 5 minutes after the loading bar on the ipod has completely filled the status on itunes changes to "verifying ipod software". At this point nothing happens. I left it plugged in for over 4 hours and nothing happened.

I have tried this with a couple of different firmwares from the site I linked above as well as by simply clicking restore and letting itunes do its thing and nothing makes a difference, I always get up to the same point and hit a road block. No error message, simply itunes displaying "verifying ipod software" or "waiting for ipod" and the ipod with the apple logo and a full loading bar below.

Please help me, I love my ipod and up until last week it functioned flawlessly.

Also, I have tried restarting my CPU and uninstall/reinstalling itunes and nothing has helped.
  2. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Using iTunes 9.0?

And... why are you not using 3.0? I mean why use the old 2.2.1?
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Site link redacted as it contains links to illegal paid firmwares. The only firmware site that can be considered legal is under 'OS DLs' in my sig.
  4. megaton

megaton New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes I am using itunes 9.0, I tried 3.0 and it didn't work either.

Please Register or Log in to view images

So I guess my ipod is bricked then?
  5. megaton

megaton New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. megaton

megaton New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  7. *[Sense]

*[Sense] New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Trying restoring your Ipt to factory settings.