Problems backing up

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by legion, Jul 4, 2010.

1. legion

legion Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So i recently got a MacBook Pro and now im trying to backup my computer using time machine with a USB external hard drive i have. Well problem. A random period of time into the backup (usually anywhere between 100 and 800 MB) time machine will stop backing up and present me with an error saying that it can no longer find the drive or something and that next time i should safely eject the drive before removing it... well silly mac, my hard drive i still plugged in. Well i thought this was maybe just a problem with time machine, nope! i tried manual backing up by just copying some documents and such on to the drive. I had the same problem

Please Register or Log in to view images

any help?
  2. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    If there's nothing important on it currently, format it. Not sure how to do it on a Mac... After formatting, it will most likely work. If not, safely remove it (eject) then post back on this thread for further instruction.

By the way, this is the wrong section, you would have probably gotten a much faster reply here. I'll contact a mod about moving it for you.

Good luck

EDIT: It's also possible this may be a USB problem. Here are 3 things to try:

1. Try a different cable to connect the hard drive.
    2. Try it on a different computer.
    3. Try syncing something else to the computer (like an iPod.)
    After trying these, post your results.
  3. legion

legion Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Alrighty so i reformatted the drive multiple times in various formats and it still does not work. I safely removed it and tried it again, still no luck. I am about to try a new usb cord and if that doesnt work i will proceed with trying it on a different computer and syncing my iphone after itunes is done installing ( which slightly off topic, but my itunes expired wtf? i didnt know that could happen).
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    looks like a new USB cable did the trick, its currently copying 1.8gb out of 50.87 haha which is much better than the 200mb i was getting early. Thanks a ton fishy.
  4. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Glad I could help. Old cable must have been frayed or something. Might want to toss it out so you don't use it again. Good luck

iTunes expired?
  5. MrDodi

MrDodi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    iTunes expired because you still have the 9.2 Beta.

Install the "full" version from apple.com and youre fine.