Problem with iPod touch 3.1.3 update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pho3nix, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Pho3nix

Pho3nix New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello! I posted this up at apple.com's message board and haven't gotten any useful replies yet, so I decided to try my luck here. I should note that my iTouch is NOT Jailbroken.

---

A few days ago I decided to update my 1st gen iTouch from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, all went well until the update was complete and iTunes informed me that my iPod is restarting in a bit.

Apparently something went wrong with the update that caused my iTouch to go into recovery mode, which I find odd since it didn't inform me of any problems while I was updating.

Now whenever I connect my iTouch it informs me that it is still in recovery mode and needs to be restored, I complied but as the restore was "complete" I get an error message 6. I tried probably 4-5 more times and then went on to the Apple site to find some answers, one suggested I turn off my antivirus and firewall, which I did. Didn't help. Then I tried another USB cable, didn't help. Then I tried to use an external USB hub, didn't work.

Finally after a few random tries it informed me that the restore was a success, and my iPod is restarting in a few moments, my joy was short-lived however as iTunes once again informed me that my iPod is still in recovery mode.

Frustrated, I scoured a few forums and found this place: [link removed] and proceeded to download software version 3.1.2. I shift clicked on restore and selected the older version with no avail. It still gives me the occasional "error 6" or the message that my restoration was a "success".

What should I do? this is definitely not a hardware issue since my problem began with the update, I should note that my iTunes version was not the newest one when the initial update was performed (if memory serves me right it was one version older than the current one), could this be the main culprit? I did download and install the newest iTunes version after I got the first error message though.

If my iTouch is beyond repair I just have to ask, how can Apple release such a buggy update? It'll be real nice to churn out 400€ for another iPod just because of faulty software on Apple's part.

Thanks in advance.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. make sure you have the right firmware for your device
    2. try a DFU mode shift-restore
    3. try on a different computer
  3. Pho3nix

Pho3nix New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. How do I check I have the right firmware?

2. What do you mean by "DFU" mode?

3. Already tried on my laptop, I might give it another go on my dads PC though.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. check here - make sure the firmware filename is correct for your iPod touch version and firmware release number.

2. DFU mode is a mechanism built into the hardware that allows you to restore your iPod touch under all conditions.

Note that if you have a 16GB version you have either a 1st gen or 2nd gen .ipod touch as there was no 16GB 3rd gen. Further, if you have the volume rocker switch on the side it's a second gen, if not it's a first gen.
  5. coolpod

coolpod New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Man just go to recovery mode or DFU mode as the dude above me explained.
  6. Pho3nix

Pho3nix New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, it is the correct one.

Yeah well as I stated above my iPod is in DFU mode, but it doesn't allow me to restore. That's the problem.

I know. As I stated in my OP my iPod touch is a 1st generation (16 GB).

Try reading my OP again.

------

Someone responded on my thread at the Apple support site, so I'm going to try out what he recommended. (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2360135&tstart=15)
  7. crappie_fisherman

crappie_fisherman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Pho3Nix,

I am having a similar issue...however my Ipod is a Gen2 with 2X original firmware.

It told me I needed to connect to iTunes...which I did...then it told me the Ipod was in recovery mode yet it WON'T load the new firmware...it keeps giving me a 'waiting for ipod' message...I've waited 24 hours and still same message.

I've loaded iTunes on a different computer...same result.

I've tried a new usb cabe...same result.

I called Apple...they told me that I could pay $29 and they could walk me thru steps...I asked if they can't fix it will they refund my $29...they said no...I would then have to pay $120 for repair at their place...

It sure seems like they have a glitch in updating their firmware or something...

I'm going to watch your thread to see if there is anything I can gleen

I am going to try the DFU mode thing although my iPod is already in recovery mode according to iTunes when I connect...but it is worth a try.

Good luck...