Problem with getting Touch to boot

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by MSW0, Feb 16, 2009.

1. MSW0

MSW0 New Member

So, I had my Touch jailbroken. Had it jailbroken from the first holy bugged/incomplete manual guide that came out. Everything was swell. Then, two nights ago, my Touch froze. No worries, says I, I'll turn it off, then boot it up, like I'd done plenty of times before.

However, I boot into DFU mode, and the computer doesn't recognize it. Uh ohs. Well, no worries. I'll just restore to normal iPod Touch, non-jailbroken. I hold down both the Home and the Power buttons for a decent time, until I know it's off for sure. Then, I attempt to get it into Recovery Mode. Well, either I have wrong instructions on how to get into that, or my computer still doesn't recognize it?

Can someone give me some clear cut instructions on how to get into RECOVERY mode (iTunes logo on screen)?

Edit: A little clarification. When I plug it in in DFU mode, it does the triple or so sound noise, meaning it simply doesn't know what the hell it is. If I attempt to hold down home and plug it into the computer (to get into Recovery), it says the device has Malfunctioned.
  2. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i don't think you're looking for recovery mode, (even though you put it in all caps and added a side note immediately after...)

i've rebooted my ipod many many times as well, but heres one thing i noticed, once the ipod is off (if you're using mac stop reading now) plug it into your WINDOWS computer, and let it sit for 10 seconds. for some reason if you try to put it into DFU mode immediately after you connect it, my computer slaps mah face! so do the 10 seconds hold both and hold home for at least 20. anyways if that fails (which chances are decent because you seem to know what you're doing) then sorry.
  3. Tom_L222

Tom_L222 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    http://ipodhowto.co.cc/index.php?page=8&title=How%20to%20put%20your%20iPod%20in%20DFU%20using%20Windows

That's how to get into dfu mode.
  4. MSW0

MSW0 New Member

I know how to get into DFU mode and everything else, but the computer just won't take it when I am in DFU mode, for whatever reason.

I'll attempt to wait a bit after I connect it.

Edit: Alrighty, I waited for a few minutes after plugging my Touch into my windows computer. Same ol' problem. When I make sure it's off, I plug it into my computer, and I hear the noise Windows makes when it recognizes the device. I hold down Power/Home for 7-10 seconds, I hear another noise which means it recognizes it (though iono what this is, cause nothing appears to change), and when I hold down only home after releasing Power, I hear the quick-three-noise, which means it doesn't know what it is.

In case I didn't make it obvious, my iPod Touch does nothing. It's a black screen, and no combination of buttons changes it. I know it's not bricked, just a little lost.
  5. Touchtacular

Touchtacular New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Are you using a tool? If you're using redsn0w tool 1.0, I can help, otherwise I don't have any idea.
  6. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well i'm sorry then. google is your friend thats all i can say on recovery mode.
  7. MSW0

MSW0 New Member

Well, none of the tools will work unless my computer recognizes it in DFU mode, as far as I know. Libusb works, but even it doesn't detect the iPod Touch D:
  8. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    run the libusb test app, somewhere like C:/Program Files/libusb/libusbtest.exe or something idk fur sher.

it'll give specs on everything plugged in to your ports, then give us some info thats given about the port the ipod is in.
  9. MSW0

MSW0 New Member

That's the problem: my iPod Touch doesn't even show up there =/
  10. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ouch. try other computers would be my next suggestion. maybe (if you're a high school student) try a mac at school, add a mac booter to a flash drive, bring a cable along with ya, hope for the best.