Problem with £12 app update? Is the issue with Apple...or us?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Meikura, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I would like to bring up an interesting point. Firstly, would like to make two things clear from the beginning: I LOVE my iPod touch (jailbroken at 1.1.2) and I am in absolute awe at the people that made this possible. HOWEVER I believe it is because of this that we are outraged at the £12/$20 charge for the iPhone apps (which we should have got for free).

Think about it: We have had for so long a standard of "hmm that app looks fun" *install* without thinking about cost. We have been living in an age of freeware where we just launched and we saw a list of the hardwork of hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals all available at the touch of a finger.

It is because of this that we are shocked that Apple are charging us for software most of us already have. What Apple are introducing is alien to us but imagine if that tiff exploit had never existed or any of the other techniques to jailbreak the iPod and iPhone. How many of us would jump at the chance to get those apps, rather than sit on a forum and complain about how Apple are monopolising fascists that only want cash?

It's true that I think its unfair we should pay this much, but I am used to living in the "free era", like most iPod/iPhone owners. Is is not possible for when the SDK is released for the AppTapp installer to be rewritten for it and made legal?

I hope it does, for then we would be able to metaphorically have our cake and eat it (even if it is a lie). In the future, I hope to eventually be able to hit installer on my springboard and have the list load up AND be safe in the knowledge that my iPod is still fully within the licence agreement.

Thanks for reading,
  2. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Well said. I agree with you to a certain extent. On one hand, the fact that the iPod touch and iPhone have been "freed" so that hundreds of apps have been developed for them is fantastic.

On the other hand, is it our right to demand that things be free when they come from legitimate companies who are actually out there to make money? We live in an age where many people will go to ******* sites and download anything they feel like, even entire operating systems and professional software that should cost hundreds of pounds, without the slightest twinge of guilt.

So, I guess patience is all that is needed. I don't think we'll be able to have Installer legitimately, as the SDK will probably be released only to official developers, not Joe Hacker. But I'm sure it will be possible to jailbreak 1.1.3, at which point we'll have "official" third party applications running alongside "unofficial" ones installed using Installer. That's good enough for me.
  3. Bitter

Bitter New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    You do make sense, I understand what you are saying, and I agree to an extent. But I do not think the $20 matters as much as the motive behind charging. These apps should have been and could have been on the iPod touch from the start, why they were held back, probably to make money later on, as Apple is doing, but the thing is that people who buy iPod touch's now get the apps free, so the only people losing money are the ones who were loyal and stuck with Apple since the beginning of the iPod touch and supported it from the start. It is like a slap in the face, and I am sure I speak for most of us when I say that we aren't goign to take this very well at all at least not without making sure Apple realizes what they have done.