Problem w/ 1.1.3 Mail?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by matt_b, Jan 16, 2008.

1. matt_b

matt_b New Member

Call me a sucker, but I paid the 20 bucks and got the apps even though I had jailbroken 1.1.1. First thing I noticed was that my mail settings were preserved which was nice. However, Mail seems to have some issues:

1) When I get a new message, the red number corresponding to the # of unread messages on the mail icon on the home screen does not change when the message is read. Right now, I have zero unread messages, yet there is a red number 1 making me think I've got 1 unread message

2) Some messages refuse to load. So I click the link at the bottom of the message to load the rest of the email, but it never loads. This appears to happen only to messages that arrived prior to the upgrade, but I have not gotten enough email to know for sure.

Anyone else run into this? I've restored my ipod this morning, but it is still happening...

matt
  2. swillard8

swillard8 New Member

um, you checked all the other folders? spam? etc il be popular and send myself an email n test. the loading if fine for me.

your not a sucker, dont listen to them, we are in it together!

EDIT: no i dont get that number problem, i read it and the number goes. Im gonna send myself a load of mail cause i loooove that trash animation it does.
  3. matt_b

matt_b New Member

Pretty sure there are no unreads in any of my folders. I should also say that I am using IMAP to connect to a gmail account. I will have to check once I get home as I have no connectivity at work...
  4. szrimaging

szrimaging New Member

Just to clarify something for my own sake (thread hijack!)...

You took a jb 1.1.1 and installed the 1.1.3 update then bought the apps and it all worked just fine? It kept all of the mail/stocks/notes settings?

Reason I ask is I am debating this right now.
  5. matt_b

matt_b New Member

correct

Yes, all the settings of the apps I had been using on a jailbroken 1.1.1 came over on the official 1.1.3 apps. I was pleasantly surprised.
  6. agentspy26

agentspy26 New Member

quick question: did you upgrade the 1.1.3 from a jailbroken 1.1.1 after the restore or right from a jailbroken 1.1.1? did all the songs, pic, and video stay or everything need to be transfered again?

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Like some people have said, check your other folders/inboxes.

Also, if this is a Gmail account and IMAP is turned on and your iPod Touch and any other mail client is configured to use IMAP, then if you mark one read in say, Apple Mail on your desktop, it will be marked as read on all of your other clients as well.

Automatic Gmail IMAP support is new with 1.1.3
    If your'e confused click here (Wikipedia)
  8. hourog

hourog New Member

Google has changed how email is handled on the iPhone/ iPod touch. See:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html

This "may" explain part of the problem
  9. matt_b

matt_b New Member

I upgraded to 1.1.3 right from a jailbroken 1.1.1. Everything came over fine from the upgrade, and I mean everything. It was a very simple upgrade with no need to recofnigure anything. I did do a full restore this AM, and the full restore blew everything away, then re-syncing brought everything back, mail config and all...

Re: the funky unread email - I did see that Gmail changed some things. I might just un-configure the gmail account and reconfigure it. Prior to the upgrade, my IMAP was working as expected - in other words if I marked a message as red on my laptop, it would update in the Touch and vice versa. In this case, the touch was saying I had unread mail and the Mail client on my Macbook said that I had no unread messages, and thus why I asked all you fine folks. I'll report back tonight if I see any behavior changes. Thanks to all for the responses...
  10. matt_b

matt_b New Member

Update - FIXED

Well, when I got home, I went into mail preferences and removed the gmail account and readded it. This resolved my problem. I did have to repoint the IMAP folders for gmail to the proper place (gmail has a faq on this) but once I was reconfigured, I no longer had the phantom unread mail number on the mail icon. So if anyone else runs into this, just unconfigure and reconfigure your account...